Discuss SDS drill sparking.. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

As above, SDS drill sparking and intermittently down on power. Sparking between brushes and commutator.

Brushes and springs seem ok, but have quite a curved surface at point of contact. Loads of meat left on brushes.

Will changing brushes fix it or is it dead?!

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am not sure if he means the commutator is curved or the brushes. If the former then it's knacked. If the latter it's still knacked as the commutator must be rough to cause the brushes to curve.

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Brushes are curved.
Yeh I had this pic that they were worn on the edges and not meeting the commutator. It's a well known fact if you try to sell a drill in a second hand shop they switch it on and if there are sparks on the commutator they will not buy it. Of course they are curved as they contact the commutator but the sparking usually means Knacked. However I have been known to clean the contact points and new brushes and hey presto problem solved. I am not for chucking tools unecassarily

Reply to SDS drill sparking.. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

B
Hi Sparkies, newbie here needing some advice please My 1100W SDS hammer drill sometimes starts, sometimes dead. So far fault diagnosis (loose connections, voltage and continuity checks) has ruled out switch, commutator and rotor armature windings. My suspicion has fallen on either the brushes...
Replies
Views
DPG
S
Hi. I bought a Sealey 750W power drill, and ever since the first day I had it problems began to arise. First, it does not always start smoothly, it starts with a jerk, which can be quite annoying when trying to keep the drill steady on top of a small punch, but the power drill shakes vigorously...
Replies
Views
Lucien Nunes
Lucien Nunes
R
I’m looking to sell my Milwaukee Kit. It contains: 1x 18v SDS 1x 18v Combi Drill 2x 5.0ah Batteries 1x Charger 1x Carry Case Collection is from Liverpool. I’m looking at £280 Ono. 1 x 18 Volt M18 BPD Compact Percussion Drill is a compact, high performance percussion drill that measures only...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix
GBDamo
Answer add three letters, NHS. One of my common jobs is preparing the wiring for the installation of dental X-ray equipment and removal and disposal of the old equipment. Typically a good mornings work, supply from an existing SFCU to the operator position (either above a ceiling or surface...
Replies
Views
DPG
justcurioustwo
.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,ClimateChange.,.,.,.,., Below is what I have found. You can do the math Globally, crude's reserves-to-production ratio has hovered between 40-55 years. (Then the well runs dry) How Much Oil Does the World Have Left? - https://tinyurl.com/yd7cfczq...
Replies
Views
justcurioustwo
justcurioustwo

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

E
  • Article
Want to become a qualified electrician? Look carefully at the training courses on offer to avoid wasting time and money, is the advice in a new campaign from electrical industry body The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership (TESP). With thousands of searches each year on terms such as...
Replies
Views
Marty92
Dan
  • Article
You can now link your account with social media by going to the following page. https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/connected-accounts/ We had this feature some time ago but I removed it when Facebook was found to be selling the data they collected without informing the users of what...
Replies
Views
Dan
Dan
  • Article
There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics. Read the actual threads here:- What should be the code for this - C2 or C3 -...
Replies
Views
Jurassic Sparks
Jurassic Sparks
James
  • Article
The Go Plus hot tub is being recalled because you could get electrocuted taking a dip, according to press releases from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI). An Amazon spokesperson said: "Safety is a top priority at Amazon. "We require all products offered in our store to comply...
Replies
Views
Dave Appleby
D
Dan
  • Article
Posted on behalf of @CKI:C.K-Tools Carl Kammerling International Ltd, also known to as ‘CKI’, are the company behind the C.K Tools brand. Founded in Germany in 1904 and with roots stretching back to 1790, we provide a wide range of hand tools, tool storage, power tool accessories and...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

Search Forum