Discuss Searching for regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MFS Electrical

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, daft thing to be doing at this time on a Saturday night I know but is there a reg that specifically says we must bring the installation or part of it up to the current standards if we alter it?

Also is there specifically a regulation stating that earth bonding must be upgraded or installed when changing a consumer unit
or is this just implied/best practice?

The regulations are not retrospective and installations do not have to be brought up to current standards. This is in the introduction.

132.16 requires that the installation be adequate and safe for any alteration or addition including earthing and bonding. This does not mean they need to be brought up to the current standard.

The regulations in general apply to all new work, but not all parts of existing installations.

The regulations are not retrospective and installations do not have to be brought up to current standards. This is in the introduction.

132.16 requires that the installation be adequate and safe for any alteration or addition including earthing and bonding. This does not mean they need to be brought up to the current standard.

The regulations in general apply to all new work, but not all parts of existing installations.
This is exactly the reg I’m after :rolleyes: I think I haven’t been clear as to what I meant by bringing the installation up to current standards... what I was meaning was for example sticking in an RCBO in place of an MCB when you add in extra sockets etc

This is exactly the reg I’m after :rolleyes: I think I haven’t been clear as to what I meant by bringing the installation up to current standards... what I was meaning was for example sticking in an RCBO in place of an MCB when you add in extra sockets etc

Ok, so in that specific example we can start with 132.16, verifying the earthing and bonding are adequate before we start work. All equipment to be used, CU and associated existing wiring and containment if any, are suitable for continued use.

RCD additional protection should be provided for sockets that you add, but not all existing sockets on that circuit need comply. Sometimes RCD protection at the circuit origin can be easiest though. All new work would need to comply with all general rules in BS7671

RCD additional protection should be provided for sockets that you add, but not all existing sockets on that circuit need comply.
As in most cases would the cable feeding the new sockets and the method of protection ie RCD spur etc so most of the time sticking in an RCBO would be the best way forward
All new work would need to comply with all general rules in BS7671
And so when replacing a consumer unit having altered the characteristics of each circuit care must be taken to ensure that there are no latent faults or dangerous situations which may be present in the installation.

Hi - along with @Andy78’s Reg 132.16, I will add Reg 110.1.2 (vi) which says “the Regulations include requirements for : (vi) additions and alterations to installations”. To me, this confirms the alteration must be to the current regulations.

Reply to Searching for regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock