Discuss Sensible answers only !!!!!!!!!!! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gethyn Turnbull

Hello fellow sparks,
right can anyone answer this . I have a generator which is running a bailing machine . The main isolator on this machine is rated at 680 amps quite a heavy load to operate this equipment (3phase ) what my customers want is this to be run of the mains because it costing a £1000 a week on diesel ! There is a small sub station which isn't being used about 80m away from the bailer. I've contacted western power and I've stated filling in the form and they asked me what power requirements I the customer require . Kva... Is this equation right for me to answer this

kila volts amps = amps x volts / 1000

therfore 680 x 400 (3phase) / 1000

272 kva ???????

is this correct .

Regards

you can't go by the isolator rating. it could be way over the actual load. you need to either look at the machine's rating plate, or clamp meter a phase and read you A/phase, then calculate the KVA from that.

what rating are the fuses/MCBs on the supply to the machine?

That's going to cost at least a years worth of Diesel for W.P.D to do their bit, plus the cost of electricity on top.

Is the baler permanently sited?

Your Kva equation is right for single phase equipment only, theres another slightly different equation for 3phase, cant remember exactly what it is but im sure if you google Kva 3phase equation you will find it

Whatch out for those Killa volt amps. Very nasty.

How can anyone give a sensible answer to such a question? You clearly haven’t a clue as to what you’re asking.
Either get some realistic figures or find someone that does know what they are on with.

Tony clearly you are a absolute ....... This is a forum for advise ......because not everyone knows everything maybe you think you do because that's the kind of person you come across with out even meeting you ....

. I will get some more info tomorrow thanks for the advise from the rest of you ,

kind regards

Please do not insult other members next time will result in a ban.

Reply to Sensible answers only !!!!!!!!!!! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net