Discuss Side Cutters or cable Shears in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Side cutters or Shears

• Side Cutters

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Shears

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
So for cutting , stripping and preparing cable what is your prefered tool

Cable side cutters

Cable shears

nicely damaged insulation on the white. what a plonker. i could do better with a blunt kitchen knife.

I have seen a few YouTube tutorials U.S and U.K where they show someone munching around the cable with pliers to chew through the outer insulation.
must be a new method as I certainly wasn’t shown this way

Sorry @Dustydazzler but it's not a fair poll.
There are so many different types of cable, each with its preferred stripping method and tool.
I use both sidecutters and shears, 2 different automatic stripping tools, and a rotary stripping tool and sometimes a knife.
and he's missed out teeth.

I can't do it anymore. lost 4 teeth to a 6mm SWA.

1620673963337.png

Had a set of Nws shears which I primarily used for meter tails , they were great and sliced big cores with ease.
Not sure where they are now thou , think I loaned them out once and never got them back grr

They guys in the Vid are using the side cutters wrong thou on bigger cables , if you need to use side cutters because that’s all you have to hand then do the cut in 2 motions nipping half the cable then rotating the cable 180 between cuts. This avoids most of the squeezing / squashing

Had a set of Nws shears which I primarily used for meter tails , they were great and sliced big cores with ease.
Not sure where they are now thou , think I loaned them out once and never got them back grr

They guys in the Vid are using the side cutters wrong thou on bigger cables , if you need to use side cutters because that’s all you have to hand then do the cut in 2 motions nipping half the cable then rotating the cable 180 between cuts. This avoids most of the squeezing / squashing

Was actually thinking those Knipex stepcutters would be ideal for you as they do the work of much longer shears.

For T&E the self-adjusting stripper things work quite well, except for occasionally biting your palms.

For smaller wires I often find these work well, even on PTFE insulation:

I also have the equivalent for typical power cables and it works fine:

They do one covering 0.5mm to 4mm which is probably a good bet for doing typical flexible cables:

I also got one of the side-cutters with a gap for 1.5mm and 2.5mm cable and find it is a pain as often it fails to cut as expected due to the gap (e.g. on cable ties, etc). So looked like a good idea, in practice not so handy.

Reply to Side Cutters or cable Shears in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net