Discuss silicone; new info in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lionelmcc

Hi guys

I spoke with he technical chappie at Evo Stick the other day . It would seem that no silicone products are suitable for coming into contact with cable insulation as the solvents in the will eventually make the PVC brittle, especially at operating temp.
He said that only acryllic based products would be suitable. Grab adhesives follow tthe same principle IE only solvent free.

PS anyone know about some of the various fillers and decorators caulks?

L

Thanks Lionel, just as i thought then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry jason but how can you say that when on the previous post by dan you said you had never had any problems?:confused:

An excellent point!

After posting that i had never had problems using silicone, i havent, however it did make me think that there could be issues with adhesives, as there are solvents present in most of them.

I was really just confirming to myself what i was thinking:D

Sorry for the confusion.

Ill get me coat...

Hi guys

I spoke with he technical chappie at Evo Stick the other day . It would seem that no silicone products are suitable for coming into contact with cable insulation as the solvents in the will eventually make the PVC brittle, especially at operating temp.
He said that only acryllic based products would be suitable. Grab adhesives follow tthe same principle IE only solvent free.

PS anyone know about some of the various fillers and decorators caulks?

L
hi lionel, good post ;)
did he indicate what sort of timescale it would take to become brittle as i have yet to replace a cable because of this happening :confused:
well worth knowing though, cheers

I can remember doing work as a apprentice (12 years ago) using silicone to seal cable entries to enclosures and to this day have had no problem with them, must be quite a while methinks.

I can remember doing work as a apprentice (12 years ago) using silicone to seal cable entries to enclosures and to this day have had no problem with them, must be quite a while methinks.
me too lenny. twenty years and no come backs. reckon he is talking too many years for it to cause concern :eek:

He said that it would take longer with low modulus but He didn't' say how long.
It would niggle at me though; to thing that I may have installed a 20 30 or even 50 year time bomb

He said that it would take longer with low modulus but He didn't' say how long.
It would niggle at me though; to thing that I may have installed a 20 30 or even 50 year time bomb
fair point lionel,think it would only niggle me if he had given a definitive time :eek: food for thought though and i will change what i use from now on ;)

thanks for the benefit of your many years in the trade ,chaps,
20 years is a long time for a relationship between plastics.
I hope hope it continues happily for the life of th install

hey flukey,
keep posted with regard to the products you come up with,,,, tips are always handy

Reply to silicone; new info in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock