Discuss Site wide login in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

RWJ

-
Arms
Reaction score
It would be great if we could have a single sign on to all forums!

I was reading through a couple of pages on the building forum till I got the dreaded "must register" box... I didn't bother registering to be honest.

This was come up in the following post

http://www.electriciansforums.net/new-member-introductions/32747-evening-boys-girls-2.html

I'm not up on vBulletin only open source, most packages you could use a common login database or something like LDAP.
The only problem I for see (without going in to it... that's Dan's job) is identical usernames on separate forums.
I do know a fair amount of PHP and have a limited knowledge of forums and other CMS software, and don't mind doing some research should it be needed.

Last edited:
no lets not!!!! as some time i go to the plumbers one to wind them up!!!

I did notice that when you are about there was a lot of wind up mainly due to the fact there are lots of power cuts :cool::cool::p:)

It only takes 7.3 secs to reg on each,after that if you tick the remember me tab,you can shoot about all over

Like wot I doz :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did notice that when you are about there was a lot of wind up mainly due to the fact there are lots of power cuts :cool::cool::p:)

It only takes 7.3 secs to reg on each,after that if you tick the remember me tab,you can shoot about all over

Like wot I doz :)

I take my suggestion back..

I've just registered for the contractors and plastering forums dunno if I dare register for the plumbing, and tiling and flooring doesn't really interest me... but you never know!

It's so easy it wouldn't be worth Dan's time messing about with the backend system to make this work.

I therefore remove my request / suggestion.

Here the links to register for the other forums.

Contractors Forum
Plumbing Forum
Tiling Forum
Flooring Forum
Plastering Forum

Sorry i missed this one.

The reason we never had one super forum for all groups is due to the fact that as you point out, they're not all heavily related although sort of connected. A member on one is definitely not going to want to register on them all. Also, when we say we have 29,900 electricians forums members, we know that 90% of them are electricians (10% customer or suppliers, or even just training perhaps) and it helps when we come to agree sponsorship as we have accurate active member figures. If we had 500,000 members but didn't really know what they were here for we'd have issues in many areas let alone when it comes to knowing which forum is the most attractive and which i need to work on more.

Plus, it's too late now. We have members on all forums with the same names, but they're actually different people. Other than Dan and Dave that is which are reserved domain names for us. Moderators mostly have the same names but not always as they don't always wish to be known on the forum that isn't their forte. :)

Reply to Site wide login in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net