Discuss Sky Hub and Netgear Nighthawk slow together in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
We've got 'standard' 40/10 FTTC fibre into a Sky SR203 router, which all works fine and we get speeds around 38/8 at the Sky Router. I've laid CAT6 to an outbuilding where it's connected into a Netgear Nighthawk r8000 predominantly to run some security cams that the WiFi just won't leap as far too, even with extenders. Sky Hub is acting as the DHCP server in the 192.168 range, R8000 has auto-sensed bridge mode and self assigned itself to the 10.0 range - and it works, there's three devices running off it now.

Except, the R8000 is reporting a speed of 8MB/700Kbs, which just can't be right, and it's affecting the security camera streams. It should either be 100MB LAN speed(ish) or at worst a tiny reduction of the Sky speeds, surely?

So what's throttling it - Sky or Netgear?! (NB, the CAT6 is fine, fully tested with my trusty data tester).

I may be wrong but in this configuration both routers must have bridge option, both needs to be connected LAN-LAN, configure first router to act as dhcp and second router dhcp is off.

On the secondary router
turn off dhcp
if your main router is using say 192.168.1.1
its dhcp scope will start at 192.168.1.2 change it to start at 192.168.1.10 to give some spare numbers that will not be automatically assigned

set the ip of the second router to 192.168.1.2
make sure the link cable from router 1 to router 2 is from lan port to lan port. It will allow full speed traffic from lan port to lan port but may not allow speeds that fast through its wan port.

Sorted. Thanks all.

@James - try as hard as I could, your suggestion just wouldn't fly - the R8000 just won't bridge via anything other than it's WAN port it seems and wouldn't pass traffic back to the DHCP server for assignment.

@plugsandsparks - yep, that's what I ended up doing and it's working perfectly, even added an additional guest wifi that it seems the Sky Hub won't do. It'll only do one bit of the garden and my man-cave though, but it's the principle!

Glad the principle is sorted. It you want to give the wifi some serious grunt. Ubiquiti do a range of indoor and outdoor AP and i can say their throughput is pretty good. The outdoor ones i have launched over 40M with full speed at 5GHz
I use comms express for sourcing

Glad the principle is sorted. It you want to give the wifi some serious grunt. Ubiquiti do a range of indoor and outdoor AP and i can say their throughput is pretty good. The outdoor ones i have launched over 40M with full speed at 5GHz
I use comms express for sourcing
Glad you rate Ubiquiti stuff. I've just bought one of their outdoor APs to replace a failing existing one.

Reply to Sky Hub and Netgear Nighthawk slow together in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock