Discuss Sleeving Brn-Blk-Gry cores for SP. Is there a convention? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm puzzled why it should be absolutely prohibited though: brn, blk, and gry are clearly legit phase colours, so as long as the remaining two are clearly sleeved blu & grn/yel at both ends, where's the danger?

There is a problem now that two colour systems exist, which is that a single-phase distribution circuit on the black phase (harmonised colours) would have a black line and a blue neutral, while one on the blue phase (old colours) would have a blue line and a black neutral. This is the only situation with completely ambiguous polarity, as in any 3-phase circuit the colours of the other phases imply the functions of blue and black. Requiring the line to be brown on a single-phase distribution circuit prevents possible confusion.

Historically, I did prefer phase identification colours and wired many distribution circuits that way. I would tag the line on a 2-core MI submain with the phase colour too.

I don’t know?
When I worked at Tate and Lyle, we used to use the phase colours for all circuits.
I dread to think what the trunking will look like now Black is a phase colour.

From what I remember the panels I designed for Tate and Lyle all phase colours were black, but every wire was numbered. It was also a control suit so not exactly the same as distribution.

Reply to Sleeving Brn-Blk-Gry cores for SP. Is there a convention? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I’d appreciate your professional views on this question, as I’ve had 2 of the associated electrical bodies quizzed on this.!!!! ON changing/up...
Replies
Views
I have a baffling problem with a newly-installed PIR floodlight and I'd like advice from the forum as to whether it's defective (and should be...
Replies
Views
UK 2022 based regs question. Hello, I have a new extension and the builders electrician has required much of the house ( not asked for ) and...
Replies
Views
If sleeving conductors at both ends, does it really matter which underlying conductor colour is being used for what? Background is that I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Quick question and hopefully not too silly. In the wiring for a heating system, is the convention to use Brown sleeve at on all cables that...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock