Search the forum,

Discuss Small Laundy room in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Pete

hi all,

We've been asked to spec & price new wiring for a small laundry room. basically at the moment the fuse in a spur that feeds 2 sockets keeps blowing ,also the insulation is less than 3MΩ and it is generally in poor condition. there are no certificates for it.

anyway. there are 3 washers and 3 dryers that can potentially all be used at once, they want them all off 3 double sockets. now i can find data for the energy used over the whole cycle, but not a peak power which may well be a lot higher and cause tripping. We are basically going to get 3x 2.5 radials (one for each socket) but there are only 2 spare ways in the consumer unit, so we may have to run a 2.5 and a 4mm radial, or possibly a 6mm feed to a new CU and make 3 new circuits, which seems like overkill. the existing CU is only about 6m away from this room on TN-C-S, so no probs with Zs

I'm hoping for a second opinion from someone with experience with this sort of install.
Is this going to be trip-free? are there standard ways of doing laundry rooms?

thanks for looking
Pete

//oops wrong section? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all,

We've been asked to spec & price new wiring for a small laundry room. basically at the moment the fuse in a spur that feeds 2 sockets keeps blowing ,also the insulation is less than 3MΩ and it is generally in poor condition. there are no certificates for it.

anyway. there are 3 washers and 3 dryers that can potentially all be used at once, they want them all off 3 double sockets. now i can find data for the energy used over the whole cycle, but not a peak power which may well be a lot higher and cause tripping. We are basically going to get 3x 2.5 radials (one for each socket) but there are only 2 spare ways in the consumer unit, so we may have to run a 2.5 and a 4mm radial, or possibly a 6mm feed to a new CU and make 3 new circuits, which seems like overkill. the existing CU is only about 6m away from this room on TN-C-S, so no probs with Zs

I'm hoping for a second opinion from someone with experience with this sort of install.
Is this going to be trip-free? are there standard ways of doing laundry rooms?

thanks for looking
Pete

//oops wrong section? :(

Before you install any new circuit you should look to see if the supply can take it, if you say there is a potential that all 3 washers and dryers will be used at once then you could be looking at a potential loading of 78 amps (assumming 13 amps per appliance) if washers are put on a boil wash cycle. I would check to see what else is being used in the building load wise and what the DNO protective device size;)

Maximum load for each machine ( providing there domestic) will be 13a ( that'll be the element then )
Commercial machimes upto 6kw
I wuold suggest 6mm radial to feed two 13aingle sockets , I would also put these on an RCBO,
If they have tumble dryers the same will apply

thanks for the replies. very much appreciated

they are all domestic type appliances. going by the manufacturer's stated energy per cycle, and the cycle duration it came out the average current total for all 6 is 42A. I forgot to mention that. But i don't know enough about power consumption of these appliances and whether they'll use double that half the time, and nothing the other half. It's also a laundry room on a small campsite. no boiling!

the main switch is 100A and there's only a small boiler, 4 other sockets and 5 lights on the CU. and 30mA rcd is there.

ok i think i got you. they basically make them to use 13A at their peak.
sorry, i was stuck on the manufacturer's data! thanks

With the heavy loads involved (potentialy). Why not the split the tails with a henley block and run them into a new CU..?
You can perhaps get a more "industrial" type CU then and leave the existing CU alone for future expansion for circuits without such heavy loads.

Old thread i know..

I have a laundry to do also..

There will be 4 dryers and 3 washers, all big comercial machines. Single phase.

Each machine will be on its own 32a RCBO fed off a dedicated laundry C.U.

How would you think is best to isolate each machine, I was thinking of a row of 45a DP switches labeled up, then down to outlet plates behind each machine..

Can anyone think of any other ways?

Reply to Small Laundy room in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net