Discuss Repurposing a cooker radial? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have a room in the house that was the kitchen. That has been relocated to a different area, so the old kitchen has been sold off and the room will be a bathroom. I’ve studded out the room and lined with cementitious board ready for tiling. All first fix plumbing is done. All sockets are obviously redundant. So they have been removed and the ring made good using wago junction boxes. The ring will feed a laundry / utility.

There is also a 5mm cooker radial. This goes to a point where there was presumably an oven in the past. The radial was extended by some superstar using 2.5mm T&E right round the room (about 9m) to a cooker switch connected to a range cooker. Was hidden behind units so no one knew. Short connection to old range from switch was in 6mm cable. I’ve ripped out the extension bodge.

Question

Pretty sure this is OK but would like confirmation or contradiction please. Radial can easily be fed to a useful double sockets or pair of double sockets in an adjacent room (which will be a bedroom) through the stud (no evidence in new bathroom). Total radial length is roughly 12m. Assuming we change the MCB or fit an RCBO of suitable size in the CU, there is presumably no reason why I can’t use the cable for a couple of sockets and possibly an LED light spur on a 3 amp switched spur socket? The fact that the cable is way over spec for this kind of use is not a problem on the principle that too big is better than too small? Or am I being dim witted?

Thanks. Current 2018 Hager board has 2 RCDs and 8 MCBs each side (not all used). My intention is to ditch this in due course (later this year or next year) and replace with a full RCBO CU with surge protection and possibly AFDD.

Reply to Repurposing a cooker radial? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net