Discuss Smoke detection and lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there, I was installing a smoke detector system (interlinked) while my mate changed the consumer unit. My problem is there was an existing smoke detector (not interlinked) with one 1mm cable at it so I used that as my supply to the interlinked system, after the fuse board was changed And energised I turned of the bedroom light which didn’t go off was almost like it dimmed and when I tested for voltage at the pendant it was 230 volts when I switched the light on or off any suggestions? I have to return tomorow to find the fault

Got to be a mistake in the wiring between the smoke and the pendant? I'd do some dead testing and confirm what is connected to what.

Got to be a mistake in the wiring between the smoke and the pendant? I'd do some dead testing and confirm what is connected to what.
The 1mm cable was into an existing smoke detector so I then put that as my supply and interlinked them green light came on the smoke detectors and tested them and all alarmed as normal

So the smoke detector works, but the light switch now doesn’t turn off the light?
You didn’t work on the lighting circuit as such, just a supply from the lighting...

are you sure this problem wasn’t there beforehand?

disconnect the smokes from the circuit temporarily to see if they are causing the problem.

So the smoke detector works, but the light switch now doesn’t turn off the light?
You didn’t work on the lighting circuit as such, just a supply from the lighting...

are you sure this problem wasn’t there beforehand?

disconnect the smokes from the circuit temporarily to see if they are causing the problem.
Yeah, the smokes worked perfect, my problem is now the light, just a supply from the lighting that’s all, yeah that was my plan today to see what the problem is it is a weird one

is it possible that you have picked up a L and a sw/L instead of L and N?

If the light dims rather than goes off I would say it is
is it possible that you have picked up a L and a sw/L instead of L and N?

There's got to be a wrong connection somewhere eh.

I'm sure I'm missing something here with the OP his mate was doing the consumer unit so what does his mate think the problem might be, also not sure why the fault needs a return visit today unless it was close to pumpkin time

Reply to Smoke detection and lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock