Discuss So many bulbs blowing! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DYCHE4230

Went to look at a job today..Big Old house loads of downlighters, been converted in to offices,,Problem is about 75% of the bulbs keep blowing!!!!

Gotta go back to do testing a week saturday before the early nights set in and there plunged into darkness from 4pm onwards.

Now I would like loads of suggestions please as to what the causes might be. I only had a quick glance at this point so information is limited....

All I can say is the landlord has started using expensive bulbs and they still blow! Also some are elv halogens (they admit they handle these when they replace them so probable cause there) and some are normal bayonet type? Oh and they found a mouse a couple of weeks ago rustling about in the loft:)

I wanna go fully armed with lots of ideas..its gonna be a long day...

Sorry, all recess...well over 100 of them,

and all in nice warm dry offices...no unusual locations

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have said the grease from fingers when handling them, Sometimes you can buy downlighters with both the 230 GU10 lamp holders and the ElV two pin lamp holders, if someone had a go at fitting them and neglected to fit a transformer then that could be the problem. Unlikely but it seems strange that some are ELV and some 230v.

gu 10 seem to like blowing even in a brand new install
run the tests on the circuits to rule out circuit problems.check the neutral connections....if more than a few keep going the problems probably not at the fittings could be a fluctuating voltage on the supply .. personally i,d change them...

gu 10 seem to like blowing even in a brand new install
run the tests on the circuits to rule out circuit problems.check the neutral connections....if more than a few keep going the problems probably not at the fittings could be a fluctuating voltage on the supply .. personally i,d change them...

As above ,test the whole installation and write a report ,if i were you i would charge for it and waver the cost if they require a rewire ,if its a house converted to offices it shouldnt be to hard to find a few things wrong ,and remember it should have a fire alarm as its a work space
good luck:)

Thanks for the above

Its 3 phase......

Yeah it does have a fire alarm...The boards a work of art...nicely labelled with neat wiring......

Thanks for the above

Its 3 phase......

Yeah it does have a fire alarm...The boards a work of art...nicely labelled with neat wiring......

Oh gthats ca shame .it doesnt sound like you can gedt a rewire out of it ,all you can do is test it and see what result you get
sorry i cant add much more:)

I pull every GU10 out given the chance. They are the "Poo of poo " in the bulb world
did a change over for a client last week > 11 units are pre wired 12v and it was not much more than buying 11 GU10 bulbs !! whiter light and client very happy

Did'nt see any GU10's that was my first thought cos they always blow....

The halogens are mr16's which from my little experience tend to be alot more robust...

I think one problem can be that everything is now supplied rated at 230V per the EU but the UK mains voltage can vary up to above 250V sometimes.I had problems with the filament lamps blowing at home and I found the mains was sometimes up to 253V.John Whitfield mentions this in his guide so I suppose the lower quality lamps don't last long.It keeps me in business replacing fan oven elements which are only supplied at 230V.

Sparkydog, Whats the answer?...do some bulbs have a greater voltage range cos your suggestion appears to be a popular one!!

What he means is that because the voltage goes up to 253v the output voltage of the tranny will also rise thus causing the lamp to blow as the trannys will not be a regulated output due to the cost of them.

Reply to So many bulbs blowing! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock