Discuss So simple, so frustrating in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

mhar

Electrician's Arms
Does anybody know of a make of crocodile clip to fit on standard test leads (in my case Metrel) which do not leap off the terminal as soon as you a) look away or b) press the test button on the meter.

SparkyChick

Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla
Staff member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
I can tell you that the Megger ones and the Kewtech ones do the same although mine are a little more audacious and will jump off whenever they feel like it, not just when I'm not looking at them :)

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
I'm off to Florida in the morning
I'll bring back a croc and lash cable to it and next time when i test with my megger it will not fall off then .
The troubleis how the hell do you get that up a ladder.:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 26818

I'm off to Florida in the morning
I'll bring back a croc and lash cable to it and next time when i test with my megger it will not fall off then .
The troubleis how the hell do you get that up a ladder.:rolleyes:
They have alligators, not crocs.

D

Deleted member 26818

They run differently.
One runs in straight lines well and the other zig zags well.
Something to remember if you get chased by one.

T

The Ghost

I use these to clip onto recalcitrant bus bars and clip on to the end with my test lead, nulled ofc. They are used for shorting between L and E etc. when doing R1/R2 usually but double as a solution to hard to clip on parts at the DB.IMG_4347.JPG IMG_4345.JPG

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
More accurately described as crock slips, the insulation on my factory ones is discoloured from all the harsh language it's endured.

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
I use these to clip onto recalcitrant bus bars and clip on to the end with my test lead, nulled ofc. They are used for shorting between L and E etc. when doing R1/R2 usually but double as a solution to hard to clip on parts at the DB.
I bought some of those Kewtech clips, crocs, alli's or whatever. They seem to provide a highly increased resistance to the circuit on test, which fluctuates and no amount of filing can improve. Found them so unreliable, I binned 'em. Is yow's ok?

Murdoch

Regular EF Member
Interesting thread .......... my Metrel ones are ok and I've had a few sets over the last 9 years ..........

Strima

Electrician's Arms
I've got a Kewtech wander lead and the croc clips have decided to self destruct on that more than once.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Wrap an elastic band around the jaws of the clip so that it pulls tighter and does not slip off so easily.
too sensible. :D:D:D.

however, here's a tip.if you want to ensure good IR readings on a circuit, use wooden clothes pegs instead.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
they do clip very well to an apprentice's testicles when you want to take an IR reading though.

Andy78

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Interesting thread .......... my Metrel ones are ok and I've had a few sets over the last 9 years ..........
Me too, the Metrel crocs are solidly made with a good tight spring. Not had one break yet, but lost one of them. Lead set is 6 years old now and doing ok.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
Tis a very fine pair though...

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 60 66.7%
  • Black

Votes: 30 33.3%

Electrician Talk