Discuss So the Scots vote No on Thursday, how would you vote in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should Scottish MP's be allowed to vote on rUK matters

• No - Scottish MP's not allowed to vote on rUK matters

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Scottish MP's are allowed to vote on rUK matters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I see your point and to a point agree, but you don't seem to see mine. Why does an MP who represents your constituency have a vote on something which happens in mine?
Because the system, as flawed as it is, is the best available.

The whole point is that English and Welsh MP's collectively vote on English and Welsh matters and Scottish vote on Scottish only matters.

Obviously they would ALL vote on UK matters!

So why would a Welsh MP get a say on an English matter and vice versa.

Thats what happens currently except the Scots have their vote on our matters too!

The Welsh can only vote on some of their "things" - Englandis the only country in the union without this "pleasure"

Seems to me like too many paper pushers, and duplicate levels!

"Hello All",

I know that this will probably result in Me being ridiculed and I obviously do know the basic principle of a `Democratic Vote`:

I realise that there had to be a way of finding out Public opinion in Scotland about becoming `Independent` from the rest of the UK and that this is why a Referendum was put in place.

BUT - now that the Opinion Polls are showing almost a 50 / 50 Split YES / NO to the Scottish Independence question would it really be a `Fair Result` if YES was voted by 51% to 49% ?

IF that happens this `Democratic Vote` would impose the Result on virtually HALF the population who do NOT want that result.

Would HALF of ANY Group of People be happily resigned to the result of a `Fair Vote` about something as important as this going against their wishes / opinions ?

The idea of `Majority Rule` in any situation would not make for a satisfied group of People if the result was 51% / 49% - there would be too many dissatisfied People !

I would have thought that there should have been a Vote in Scotland to see what percentage of the population supported `Scottish Independence` and then IF the result showed a SIGNIFICANT percentage wanted it a Referendum would follow to then sign the will of a SIGNIFICANT majority into Law / Legislate for Scottish Independence.

Personally I don`t feel that Scotland should become Independent on a VERY small percentage - IF the `YES` vote wins - because it will be against the wishes of almost HALF the population.

What do other Members think about my comments ?

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
If the outcome, either way, is as close as the pollsters predict, the harmony and tranquility of Scotland could be ruined for ever.

I simply can't imagine the Yes campaign taking a narrow defeat graciously

"Hello All",

I know that this will probably result in Me being ridiculed and I obviously do know the basic principle of a `Democratic Vote`:

I realise that there had to be a way of finding out Public opinion in Scotland about becoming `Independent` from the rest of the UK and that this is why a Referendum was put in place.

BUT - now that the Opinion Polls are showing almost a 50 / 50 Split YES / NO to the Scottish Independence question would it really be a `Fair Result` if YES was voted by 51% to 49% ?

IF that happens this `Democratic Vote` would impose the Result on virtually HALF the population who do NOT want that result.

Would HALF of ANY Group of People be happily resigned to the result of a `Fair Vote` about something as important as this going against their wishes / opinions ?

The idea of `Majority Rule` in any situation would not make for a satisfied group of People if the result was 51% / 49% - there would be too many dissatisfied People !

I would have thought that there should have been a Vote in Scotland to see what percentage of the population supported `Scottish Independence` and then IF the result showed a SIGNIFICANT percentage wanted it a Referendum would follow to then sign the will of a SIGNIFICANT majority into Law / Legislate for Scottish Independence.

Personally I don`t feel that Scotland should become Independent on a VERY small percentage - IF the `YES` vote wins - because it will be against the wishes of almost HALF the population.

What do other Members think about my comments ?

Regards,

Chris
I'm hoping for a scottish civil war friday.

Chris I'm not a Scot but in response to your 51/49% question.
What do you call a clear majority? I'd say 2% more represents that.
If you don't agree then where are you going to draw the line and why? Why would, for arguments sake, 67.3% be more palatable than 50.9%
If more people want something than don't then they get it. That's the way a democratic society is supposed to work except in the case of our general elections where historically parties have gained power despite effectively more voting against them than for them.

Reply to So the Scots vote No on Thursday, how would you vote in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net