Discuss Solis 3600 told vs sunnyboy 4000tl in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

saggers

Whats the difference between these 2 units. I've been quoted with the Solis but for 400 more can have the sunny boy. I guess the sunny boy is better built and may last longer? Am I likely to see any extra gains elsewhere. Thanks

If it's a 4kW system, you should be comparing the Solis 3600 with the SMA SB3600TL-21 SunnyBoy Dual Tracker (not the 4000TL).

SMA is a much better choice if you have any shading whatsoever.

Ok I don't seem to suffer from any shading. I will question them why they quoted for that one if the 3600 21 is more suitable, I guess its more money though? I did notice the 4000tl had opti trac shade management any idea what that is?

With no shading is the sunny boy a better investment though? More power or not?

The SMA 3600-21 is limited to G83 and can therefore be installed without prior permission from the DNO whereas the SMA 4000-21 is not and requires permission. (That's the case in England, anyway - the rules may be different elsewhere).

Opti-trac is a useful feature for shade management but if you don't need that, it's an unnecessary luxury.

I think you'll take a few decades to recover the extra £400 in terms of additional yield. The SMA, however, may be more reliable and the company certainly has a longer history and is more established.

Ok I'm rather confused as I've seen a few posts that say a good system is more about the inverter and the design and not the panels used. As for design I am south east facing and no shading so cant see any improvements here. So would I be better off just installing the basic inverter and taking my chances and replace if need be. I'm happy to spend more if it makes sense too.

The key thing is to choose a good installer. He will select the most suitable components for your circumstances and talk through the pros and cons. Cheapest is rarely best especially when you are making a 20+ year investment which involves major surgery to the fabric of your home.

It's difficult to judge the best solution without a site visit from an experienced technical surveyor. If you had a shiny-suited salesman around, that's probably the company to avoid.

Reply to Solis 3600 told vs sunnyboy 4000tl in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net