Discuss Splitting mansion into flats? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

per42c42

Hi, I'm looking to split a large building into a group of flats.
However I have only worked on wiring up houses before so never had to install multiple consumer units in one building.

Should I use a distribution board or do I use another method to hook up the coin meters which will then feed into each flats consumer unit?

Any help would be appreciated ;0)

Several options available to you.

Assuming a suitably rated three phase supply is available you could consider using a panel board at the main incomer with a moulded case circuit breaker feeding individual consumerunits in the flats. You are also likely to require a cu near the panel board to cover the requirements for lighting, emergency lighting, cleaner's sockets and fire detection in the communal areas.
The metering for the flats can either be in the flats or close to the panelboard, whichever the landlord prefers and is suitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have been doing flats lately and most seem to go with 1 main supply to building which is split by lecy board in mains cupboard to individual meters, then a main is taken to each flat to feed a local board. it means that all the meter readings can be done in one go. you just need the builder to provide a main riser for the tails.

If you need a panelboard, there is a firm in Sheffield that can build you them with inbuilt meters. They are quite reasonable pricewise .

Thanks guys, this is really good info. I spent all day on the site for the first time, it was a bit overwhelming seeing how this old place had been rewired with spurs and extra radials and then how some consumer units feed lighting or main into 2 seperate apartments but I need to meter them seperately. Also got some old coin meters the boss needs me to reconfigure which I'm unsure of. Still, will see what tomorrow brings on that score, some of the women who have them in their apartments are definately worth another visit lol

In terms of the original question, it seems there are 4 mains cables coming into the building, they feed into 4 consumer units and the rest go into Isolators which feed into either the meters or consumer units on the other floors. I am gonna need to trace the circuits tomorrow to understand what is going where, sadly the tenants are not too pleased with me turning the power off too much, but with all this old wiring going all over the place.....

Here is an interesting one, I have a 100a fuse switch isolator which is feeding a 100a consumer unit, which is in turn supporting 3 apartments. However I need to meter all 3 separately and am wondering how to go about this....

The only way I can how this might work is to install another 2 consumer units and meter all 3. However there is only 1 switch feeding them, so will I need to add another two switches or can I (Legally) run a split from the cable feeding the first meter to go to all 3 meters and then into the consumer untis?

Not done this before so not sure which is the proper way?

:confused:

once passed the incoming meter the installation is yours, so you could put a smaller db after the isolator with 3 40amp breakers to feed three consumer units and meter each one with your coin meters

Last edited by a moderator:
Your the man, thanks brother, thats what I needed to know, you know I have been working in IT as a network engineer and a Project manager for years and you sparkies are far more supportive with your community that the IT guys, you rock, I appreciate your quick and to the point professional replies ;0)

I did my NVQ level 2 but nothing beats experience and this forum has it in spades!

Cheers
Chris

Reply to Splitting mansion into flats? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock