Discuss Static shock severity in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on how severe a (presumed) static shock can be?

Client has a passenger lift, passenger presses the lift button and receives a shock, presumed to be static, as nothing in the lift tripped. No entry wound / marks but passenger goes off to hospital and is told they have burn marks on their feet.

On the basis this is static, does it ever generate enough current to cause physical harm / damage?

All thoughts welcome.

Sounds weird , any signs of spillage ,insulted platform conductive periphery ?
Pictures of footwear . Video footage.
Any thunderstorms on that day!
:)I'll back up the expert...literally, although I've never been static zapped to such an extent.;)

Static should surprise you, not send you to hospital.
Bare foot in a metal box would give you burns on feet if you had direct or indirect contact with electricity.

Needs a thorough checkup by engineer

Whilst this story sounds unlikely it would still be prudent to isolate the lift until it is properly investigated fully.
And since someone has gone to hospital this should probably be reported to HSE and proper procedure followed.

Don't get involved in the investigation unless you are qualified to do so and properly insured to consult on this.

Thanks all for the responses.

Its not my project but my own thought was that, although static can give you a nasty jolt, it isn't likely to cause this level of damage. I believe the lift has been thoroughly checked, no faults found and an incident report produced.

The affected passenger is considering taking things further so we will wait and see if that occurs.

Thanks all for the responses.

Its not my project but my own thought was that, although static can give you a nasty jolt, it isn't likely to cause this level of damage. I believe the lift has been thoroughly checked, no faults found and an incident report produced.

The affected passenger is considering taking things further so we will wait and see if that occurs.

Steer well clear of it of you can, the facts you have presented make me think this is all about the claim and not so much about the truth.

Unless they were standing barefoot in the lift or wearing conductive shoes I doubt that burns could have occurred.

this is all about the claim and not so much about the truth.
Agree with somethings off , but their account of things will be poor.
Thinking entry/exit wounds as step into lift .. or wander into lift from nearby incident out of habit.
... and confused account. (so not totally negated).
My wife was Canadian and enjoyed the freedom of bare feet !

Last edited:

Reply to Static shock severity in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock