Discuss Still not installed EV yet !! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Time has come where we do actually need to start installing these. Few new builds coming up where is now a requirement.
Done the course 'couple years' ago registered with OZEV, pod point installer etc.

All I've done to date is put in the 1st fix for any units.

What put me off was the additional paperwork, expensive outlay for the units £££ and final set up/ app etc.

So I'll get to the point, what are simplest units to set up ?
Are there any that don't require end user there with app on their phone for set up. As some places we never get to see end users (new build)
And also have decent technical help.

Been looking at Zappi and also Hypervolt (apart from no 22kW avaible yet)

Cheers Sy

I’ve fitted two hypervolts… both for the same customer.

Home one is set up with his phone…. But he’s not that tech savvy, so it’s just left on plug ‘n charge.

The other one is on a holiday lodge without internet… so was set up on my phone, and also left on plug and charge… as it gets isolated when no one is there.

know what you mean..... not out of choice for me ! LABC now requires for new builds 🫤
It's like anything sythal, once you done 1 or 2 of them you'll wonder why you were fearful.
I think I've fitted 4 units.
1 x hypervolt... Good customer service, good price. However, I believe you HAVE to fit a CT clamp. I'm pretty sure it works without, but I remember there being something in the spec about it being mandatory, perhaps for warranty.
1 x pod point... poor customer service, confusing set up. It put me off fitting anymore. Could just be me though.
1 x zappi.. I THINK it comes pre set as requiring a CT clamp, so it doesn't work if none fitted. Simple to change in settings.
Customer service was good.
1 x can't remember.

I'm sorry I haven't said much about the app part. I tend to write in the quote that that is up to client as it can be a right faff, or really straight forward!
Oh yes, fitted an 'ohme' as plug and play. Reasonable customer service and it has a sim fitted in case you haven't got broadband, or it doesn't reach.
@Gavin John Hyde is always the guru for EV's

It's like anything sythal, once you done 1 or 2 of them you'll wonder why you were fearful.
I think I've fitted 4 units.
1 x hypervolt... Good customer service, good price. However, I believe you HAVE to fit a CT clamp. I'm pretty sure it works without, but I remember there being something in the spec about it being mandatory, perhaps for warranty.
1 x pod point... poor customer service, confusing set up. It put me off fitting anymore. Could just be me though.
1 x zappi.. I THINK it comes pre set as requiring a CT clamp, so it doesn't work if none fitted. Simple to change in settings.
Customer service was good.
1 x can't remember.

I'm sorry I haven't said much about the app part. I tend to write in the quote that that is up to client as it can be a right faff, or really straight forward!
Oh yes, fitted an 'ohme' as plug and play. Reasonable customer service and it has a sim fitted in case you haven't got broadband, or it doesn't reach.
@Gavin John Hyde is always the guru for EV's

Thanks Mate appreciate all, the info 😉😉

Just curious what do write on the quote, need to start doing something like this.
Spent a lot of wasted time with 'smart stuff/ apps' !!!!!!!
I tend to write in the quote that that is up to client as it can be a right faff

Just curious what do write on the quote, need to start doing something like this.
I write quite a bit in my quote as it helps to avoid any misunderstandings later. I have just installed some CCTV which required lots of work with the annoying app. Luckily, I had written my get out clause with regards the quote not including any work with the app.

It has been a year or 2 since I fitted an EVCP and I'm hesitant to say you can just write 'This quote does not include any work with the app' as I can't quite remember if you do actually need to do something on line just to get the unit working, sorry I can't be more clear.

Break it down on quote to 1)Install 2)Commissioning as each charger slightly different. The zappi whilst able to cover the majoirty of installs can require a few settings and configuring ct clamps to get it to work.
Its more expensive but my favourite of late is the Simpson & Partners. I am so busy I tell customer to order the unit then i will fit once here.
In short allow an hour for commissioning and compliance as per smart charger regulations and ENA/DNO compliance which covers you for the notification, app set up amongst other things.
Add a clause on quote if you havent been able to guarantee there is good wifi that you may need to install a wifi extender at additional cost (cost of extender + 20% and say half hour on top)

Break it down on quote to 1)Install 2)Commissioning as each charger slightly different. The zappi whilst able to cover the majoirty of installs can require a few settings and configuring ct clamps to get it to work.
Its more expensive but my favourite of late is the Simpson & Partners. I am so busy I tell customer to order the unit then i will fit once here.
In short allow an hour for commissioning and compliance as per smart charger regulations and ENA/DNO compliance which covers you for the notification, app set up amongst other things.
Add a clause on quote if you havent been able to guarantee there is good wifi that you may need to install a wifi extender at additional cost (cost of extender + 20% and say half hour on top)
Thanks Gavin... appreciate your help.

They (Simpson & Parters) do look decent quality and design what's the final set up like simple enough ?

Having 2nd thoughts about Zappi already !!
Currently on hold to customer service @ 43mins, what a load of crap 🤯
Tried email and also raised a support ticket but getting no where.

Have completed 'authorised sub-contractor' form online but had few queries.
Anyone else help me out maybe:
  1. Is there a dedicated technical help number for installers (that takes less than 43 mins to get through!) ?
  2. What are main benefits of becoming 'authorise sub-contractor' - longer warranty if so how much longer ?
  3. What are main benefits of becoming 'authorise sub-contractor' - cheaper price on units ?
Cheers Sy

IMG_2102.png

Thanks Gavin... appreciate your help.

They (Simpson & Parters) do look decent quality and design what's the final set up like simple enough ?
Really easy, despite a metal cover the wifi chip is top notch. settign up is really easy, download app, click installer menu and enter installer pin which S&P provide. then you can test RCM, PEN loss etc and set up ct clamp either wired or wirless similar to harvi/zappi but signal much better.
Customer sets up wifi in the app interface they have and it is really easy to use

Reply to Still not installed EV yet !! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net