Discuss stupid in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bahco

did my 2330 practical test the other day, got to the testing part of the exam and i had to explain what tests i was doing and how i was going to do it, anyway the first test was the r1+r2 of the lighting circuit.

so i removed the earth from the earth bar and connected it with the phase in the 6a breaker, the examiner said right im going to have to stop you there you have made a fatal error lol.

he then went on to say if i forgot to remove the earth and powered up then bang, which i allready knew, but that is the way we were taught to did it by college, but the examiner works for the same college but he says that is the wrong way, how stupid is that!

anyway i passed with a distincion say im happy :)

i'm in the process of completing my 2330 course at the minute and we have been shown to remove both the phase and earth and join them using a connector block.
I can see this is a good idea for safety but no one has said you couldn't do it your way plus this is how it is demonstrated in the JTL books.

in the OSG and GN3 it shows connecting a link between phase and the earth bar

Thats how i have always done it, and its how i show people how to do it!

and anyway, when you do you IR tests after the con checks, you would realise that the link is left in

Tell your tutor i will meet him outside, and he better bring his biggest mates!

A connector block is safer I think, and thats how we were taught it. Some people put the link in, and some forget to take it out. So after testing and turning the board on infront of a customer. You can imagine there's a few red faces.

i agree with shakey the ir test will highlight your stupidity in leaving the link in
ive started taking things apart to find i forgot the link

been there once or twice
stupid {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

did my 2330 practical test the other day, got to the testing part of the exam and i had to explain what tests i was doing and how i was going to do it, anyway the first test was the r1+r2 of the lighting circuit.

so i removed the earth from the earth bar and connected it with the phase in the 6a breaker, the examiner said right im going to have to stop you there you have made a fatal error lol.

anyway i passed with a distincion say im happy :)

if he stopped you for a fatal error how did you get a distinction.:confused:

i wouldn have stuck the cpc in the mcb but used a link or a connector.

with regard to the distincion, the college told me to put the earth in the breaker, the examiner who works for the college told me it was a fatal error haha so i think the college need to take a look at there teaching methods.

anyway its a lesson learned, you never stop learning especially in this trade :)

A connector block is safer I think, and thats how we were taught it. Some people put the link in, and some forget to take it out. So after testing and turning the board on infront of a customer. You can imagine there's a few red faces.

then they must have forgotten to do their IR tests well!!!

Which means they are not competent to test, and should consider sticking their meter on ebay!! either that OR FOLLOW WHAT THE BOOK TELLS YOU TO DO

Reply to stupid in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock