Discuss Sub Main Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Why so some designers get ideas in their head which are a real ballache and serve no real purpose and we have to carry them out regardless? If there is a genuine advantage of the copper links i will only be too happy to stand corrected

Sorry E54 while i agree with what your saying i also know what the oracle says is true. The architects do specify running separate cpc's on some of the jobs i have worked on. I even had one specify i had to bond over the pipe couplers on an air system because the pipe fitters had used ptfe tape at this point. It seems the architects think up some things and they must be obeyed.

So i also have nearly 29 years in this game and have had to use containment as the cpc but have also had to run separate (hope the fence is big enough for me and oracle)

Must be a UK thing, i can assure you, no-where else is that stupid to supplement what is a superior system. Makes you wonder why they are installing metal containment systems in the first place, ...must just be for it's protection properties alone!!! That's completely Nut's!!! ...Might just as well install heavy gauge PVC conduit and trunking system.

Must be a UK thing, i can assure you, no-where else is that stupid to supplement what is a superior system. Makes you wonder why they are installing metal containment systems in the first place, ...must just be for it's protection properties alone!!! That's completely Nut's!!! ...Might just as well install heavy gauge PVC conduit and trunking system.

You wont get any argument from me mate I fully understand where you are coming from as when i started out containment provided the cpc...end of. However in the last few years its not necessarily the case...times are a changing and some young snotty nosed designer whose only practical comes from a computer says it must be

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the solid stuff but have used the flexicon stuff which but usually with normal fittings

any special method of working with the solid stuff?

If it's what I think it is. We had an install done near a kiln, all i remember of it is thinking "thats an interesting shade of burnt umber". The fact that the singles through the tube was silicon should have given a hint it was hot around there. The Rital boxes came off worse, they looked like they'd got the pox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the solid stuff but have used the flexicon stuff which but usually with normal fittings

any special method of working with the solid stuff?

No not really, but we are talking about 2 1/2'' or 3''conduit (should of mentioned all this in my post) , actually it was American heavy gauge stuff, which the contractor wanted to use to run out sub-mains to smallish workshops underground. about 50/60 metres runs, which i went along with after getting the relevant information from the manufacturers. All the couplings are covered with a made for purpose heat shrink tube. Came with all types of fittings, but we only used couplings and slow bends and 90's. Never seen it before or since, but was told there is a UK equivalent product.

It actually worked quite well to be honest, i did make the proviso that if it failed a sheath test they will have to dig the offending run up and make repairs... but all passed. ....Never run in a separate CPC either!! lol!!
While were back on that subject, i know for a fact that the copper conduit system in the ''Houses of Parliament'' didn't have any CPC's pulled into them either. ... Now that would have been a complete waste of time, now wouldn't it, ...what!!! ...lol

thanks for the info...and i for one still hark back to the good old days...lol Red yellow blue was always good enough for me; containment as cpc...was always a winner! You know the days where opinion was actively sought by designers and acted upon!

No, ...That looks a lot like a push fit conduit system, the stuff i'm talking about was your normal screw/threaded connection. If you had to cut the conduit length, you just cut back an appropriate amount of the PVC covering and threaded it as normal. The manufacturers also stated that it could be bent on a hydraulic or electrical bending machine with there supplied formers, but there wasn't any need on that installation...

Reply to Sub Main Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net