Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss sub tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Was going to move my fuse board in my house by 11m was going to use split con but someone recently told me its frowned upon, so was thinking tails but can be a pain in arse over 11m.... Does anyone know of other cabling ideas apart from SWA as I don't want all the making off to do. Or shall I just stick with tails?

You will need to fit a fused isolator at the origin, whatever recognised method you choose after that is your choice as long as its suitable for the environment, whats the problem with - swa??? your going to have a limited career if you avoid it all the time.

Yeh I know isolator at origin for over 3m...
I was just seeing if there might have been some other cable that I've not heard of that might be new or something. SWA within my home is a bit ott with all the extra bits and bobs and the making off I can't be doing that.
Saying that thinking about it ill then have to support the tails away from ceiling which could be more fiddly hmmm maybe swa.

I don't know what your saying...

However it was first thing in the morning, I half expected someone to come back at me, there's plenty of you.
Regards to the thread- it was merely a question trying to ascertain whether there was an ulterior cable that people might be using apposed to the norm.
SWA isn't just the making off of the glands, it can be bulkier to handle. Tho fair enough just 2 isn't that difficult but it's the financial implications also.

I don't know what your saying...

However it was first thing in the morning, I half expected someone to come back at me, there's plenty of you.
Regards to the thread- it was merely a question trying to ascertain whether there was an ulterior cable that people might be using apposed to the norm.
SWA isn't just the making off of the glands, it can be bulkier to handle. Tho fair enough just 2 isn't that difficult but it's the financial implications also.

If its a financial implication don't do it cus you obv talk out of you rectum

So changing to SWA from tails is the same price, is that what your saying??? The difference between a KMF switch or a metal clad isolator are the same??
Adding the glands also!! Additional time...

Why would your one off input be implying I'm talking out my arse? Because you wanted to jump on the band wagon...
Why is it so difficult to get a simple answer from this forum? Everyone wants to be a smart arse.
Funny thing is if I asked you this question at a wholesaler in person you would probably give some helpful advise.

I'm not jumping on bandwagon as you say!

You seem so adamant that you don't want to use swa, why not? It will be the most cost effective way to do the job.

Your not going great distances, as you say you still need isolators and some support mechanism for whichever cable you use. Surely it won't take up more than a few minutes extra to make of the glands properly.
If using tails you will have to do three lots of pulling of cable.= three times the labour costs. Swa = just one pull ok may be a bit harder if your on your own but I'm sure you will get over it.

I appreciate you taking your time to write that post. I do.
I'm not completely off the idea of SWA at all in fact this is what I'm using.
Although with tails, a little bit of per planning and you can put them through as one.

Think of it like this.

Using tails you are not affording any protection from the CPC. As it isn't combined within the cable make up. If using swa it is and you are protecting the conductors

If you don’t fancy making off the SWA don’t even consider split concentric. It takes longer and if you don’t know what you are doing it will to quote E54 “it will look a dogs dinner”

Reply to sub tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net