Discuss SWA Cable crimps in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lincs1sparky

Hi, I have some 185mm single cables terminated into an isolator. on inspection one of the cables is not fully inserted into the crimp. The is tight into the crimp but I can see thru the inspection hole it is not fully home. Is it ok to leave or should it be re-terminated? is there are chance of over-heating (hot spot) or if it is correctly crimped but not fully home it will be ok?
Many thanks for any help.

Take no chances with a beast of that size and re crimp properly.

A bit dodgy if you ask me. I personally would re-terminate. If you need to bend the cable or put some strain on it it may come out of the crimp. With a properly crimped cable you should not be able to look through the hole cos that is why it is there for.
look at a manufacturers data sheets i.e. Klauke .
hope this helps

Part of the reason the cores go beyond the crimp area is to give an anchor in the lug. If put under tension the cores could pull out.

Obviously not a well made off lug termination, but if there is no distortion to the crimping section of the lug, then there is enough cable within the crimped section to be called a solid joint, (if unsure ask for a second opinion). I take it these would be shaped cables and lugs to suit...

Obviously, it would be better to remake the crimped termination, but you then need to consider several other factors now that it's in service. Is there enough cable to remake?, do you have a hydraulic crimper suitable for 185mm? Can the supply be taken out of service/isolated etc, etc??... Remember, shortish lengths of 185mm cables can be a hellish job to bend out of an enclosure to work on, especially if crossed...even worse getting it back into position!! ...lol!!!

I would check there is enough slack on the core first to re-make as you won't stretch a 185, might be why its like it if it was cut too short to start with. Anyone working with cables of that size normally know about the hole so can't see it being accidental mistake.
unless the cables are dressed as ruff as a badgers .......

Many thanks for the replies. I will see if there is enough slack to re-terminate and get a collegue to check also. I will be able to disconnect and get a better look in the end of the crimp.

well the options are limited , is there enought length on core to fit new lug ( cut 2 vertical cuts up the sides of lug to remove ) crimp new lug using hex. dies ( using hex crimps can increase length of core slightly ) or re-gland cable

well the options are limited , is there enought length on core to fit new lug ( cut 2 vertical cuts up the sides of lug to remove ) crimp new lug using hex. dies ( using hex crimps can increase length of core slightly ) or re-gland cable

Now that's easier said than done when talking about a 185mm cable!! Besides i'm sure the OP stated that these terminated cables were singles.

I must admit i was thinking SWA cable when i first posted on the thread. Even so, it can still be a bit of a job, to pull up any slack even in trunking.

There are lugs available, with extended shanks suitable for such circumstances, just depends what sort of space he has available to work with. A photo or two would be nice, the members can then give a far more detailed view, on if a replacement lug is required or not and the best way to tackle it...

I think it depens on a number of factors whetehr the lug even needs tobe replaced. There are a nyumber of different manufactireres of lugs about, and they come in all shapes and sizes. Some have longer tubes that the conductor goes into than others. IMO, provided there is enough uncrimped copper beyod the crimp insuide the lug, then i would leave it. I would have to have a look at it to give an informed opinion. when using a small hex crimper, then i double crimp, but if its a large crimp die, then one will suffice in 90% of applications.
Indent crimpers cannot usually be used to double crimp.

If it is possible to isolate the circuit, then i would unbolt the lug, and insert an appriopriately sized round object throught the hole, and attempt to pull the lug off. It shouldnt move. I would also attempt to gently twist the lug off using an adjustable spanner. Again, it shouldnt move.

Reply to SWA Cable crimps in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock