Discuss Swapping MR16 downlights for 230v iCage LEDs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GreenMG66

DIY
Reaction score
hi all. Newbie to the forum although I have read it many times over the years. I want to swap some downlights in our hallway from MR16s with transformers to LED mains GU 10 Ansell iCage 230v fire rated ones. The MR16s have been attached to the mains by an old-fashioned looking junction box, below which is the transformer for each downlight. See pic! So do I retain the old looking junction box, or get rid of the lot and attach the new lights to the grey mains wire? And because they're iCage they need to be earthed. I think at present the earth may land in the old looking junction box. Hope this all makes sense! 20200319_090303.jpg

connect each new light into each JB. use 3 core flex orT/E if the fittings are class I. and those JBs are what we always used before wagos came along. only downside is the lack of cable restraint.

As Tel but dependent on how much of the grey T&E you have available to play, the type of connectors you have on the new lights you could consider wagos and wago light junction boxes. Other types are available and designed for such jobs. Good luck.

Those circular junction boxes have never been compliant has a final connection for a light fitting. Try some of these or similar.

Thanks everyone. I think I’m going with T&E and Wagoboxes
the clickflow are easier.apart from which wagos coe in 2 port. 3 port, 4 port, 5 port and you buy a pack of 25 or more. get the wrong ones and you're out of pocket. clickflow are about £2 each.

Reply to Swapping MR16 downlights for 230v iCage LEDs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have a baffling problem with a newly-installed PIR floodlight and I'd like advice from the forum as to whether it's defective (and should be...
Replies
Views
Hello, I’ve have some ten year old Collingwood SL020 RGB led garden spike lights which I’d like to keep using but wondering if I can use them with...
Replies
Views
Hello wonder if anyone can help. I have installed 6 led downlights that I would like to be controlled from a 2 gang dimmer, 2 banks of 3 . Have...
Replies
Views
Hello I have recently moved home and I looking to upgrade lighting across the house to LED. In the kitchen I have found that there is installed...
Replies
Views
Hey all. Have a client who’s LED downlights keep breaking after 6 months or so. I didn’t put them in originally. I looked the details on the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock