Discuss T&E or Single Core? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Buzz Lightbulb

Gentlemen,

I am adding a new ring and lighting circuit to an integral garage. I'll be taking a 2.5mm t&e cable from a 32A MCB at the main CU into the garage via underfloor, to a small remote CU (20A ring, 6Amp lighting mcb's) in the garage. The main CU will give RCD protection to the whole circuit. I was planning to run the ring in the garage with single core in conduit, but what size would you recommend for the phase, neutral and earth? Also, a friend of mine said I should also supp bond the gas central heating boiler that sits in the garage as well. (There is good main and supp bonding already in the house itself) Would you say doing this is necessary?

I may use this small project for my assessment with ElecSa.
Be grateful for any views/advice chaps.
Cheers
Buzz

Gentlemen,

I am adding a new ring and lighting circuit to an integral garage. I'll be taking a 2.5mm t&e cable from a 32A MCB at the main CU into the garage via underfloor, to a small remote CU (20A ring, 6Amp lighting mcb's) in the garage. The main CU will give RCD protection to the whole circuit. I was planning to run the ring in the garage with single core in conduit, but what size would you recommend for the phase, neutral and earth? Also, a friend of mine said I should also supp bond the gas central heating boiler that sits in the garage as well. (There is good main and supp bonding already in the house itself) Would you say doing this is necessary?

Cheers
Buzz

2.5mm is to small for a 32A MCB, should be either 4mm or 6mm for that sized MCB

Gentlemen,

Cheers
Buzz
hi,
I recon you should be coming from a 20amp in the house.
Your singles should be 2.5,2.5,and either 1.5 or 2.5 for earth.
I think T&E would be cheaper though.And likely that a radial would do your job instead of a ring.
As for your boiler you should check for sound continuity before deciding if you need additional bonding.

OK thanks chaps. I took the 2.5 mm from OSG Table 7.1 so assumed it would be up to the job?

I think the idea of the radial rather than ring is a good one as I'll only be putting a max of 3 X double sockets in. The remote CU will of course feed sockets and lighting so that's why I thought 32A from main CU (into a 20A breaker for sockets and 6 A breaker for lights = 26A total)

Just stroke my confidence will you with any thoughts again thank you very much!

OK thanks chaps. I took the 2.5 mm from OSG Table 7.1 so assumed it would be up to the job?

I think the idea of the radial rather than ring is a good one as I'll only be putting a max of 3 X double sockets in. The remote CU will of course feed sockets and lighting so that's why I thought 32A from main CU (into a 20A breaker for sockets and 6 A breaker for lights = 26A total)

Just stroke my confidence will you with any thoughts again thank you very much!

2.5 cable is rated at around 26A, so it should be protected by an MCB less that its CCC, in this case, 20A MCB from main CU.

If you wish to have 32A from the main CU, then, depending on various installation factors you must use either 4mm or 6mm.

I have to be honest, this is really basic stuff which you would have been taught on whatever course(s) you have done but, if you need to ask, maybe you should put off your assessment if you have booked it.

Reply to T&E or Single Core? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock