Discuss Taped up joint in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Thanks for the add
Trying to keep this short customer had a leak in her bathroom which required the downstairs ceiling to be pulled down and replaced.
In doing so this junction was found, the house was re-wired 5 years ago
and certificated! the problem I have is I need to reposition some of the lights in the ceiling it will probably test up ok, just want to know how I stand do you leave it or try and make it good ? the electrician has stated that this is perfectly acceptable

Attachments

• Taped up joint A1381333-5D36-46A6-B7A4-D028177E43F4 - EletriciansForums.net
    A1381333-5D36-46A6-B7A4-D028177E43F4.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Taped up joint 51C71199-B4DF-4878-B001-0C419397612B - EletriciansForums.net
    51C71199-B4DF-4878-B001-0C419397612B.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 149
That is totally unacceptable. Conductors and terminations must be correctly contained, that would not include unenclosed block connectors. Wrapping it with insulation tape makes absolutely no difference. I would question the competence of anyone claiming to be an electrician who says that is acceptable.
It is worrying what else is hidden like that.

Last edited:
I have spoken to the customer and she has told me the electrician and the guy who signed the work off are coming round to have a look but as said they don’t see a problem
Well I must say they have some front
How could that be acceptable
Kinda makes a mockery of the trade
and the governing bodies

Thanks for the add
Trying to keep this short customer had a leak in her bathroom which required the downstairs ceiling to be pulled down and replaced.
In doing so this junction was found, the house was re-wired 5 years ago
and certificated! the problem I have is I need to reposition some of the lights in the ceiling it will probably test up ok, just want to know how I stand do you leave it or try and make it good ? the electrician has stated that this is perfectly acceptable
"The Electrician" and I use the title with tongue in cheek is talking out of his or her backside, needs sorting properly, as it stands it's diabolical. who ever did this wants seeing too.

As previously stated if they feel that is acceptable then their competence is in question. If they are not willing to rectify the situation and to be honest I wouldn't want them to you have made the first steps in lodging a complaint to their scheme provider, that being you approach them first for a solution.

As previously stated if they feel that is acceptable then their competence is in question. If they are not willing to rectify the situation and to be honest I wouldn't want them to you have made the first steps in lodging a complaint to their scheme provider, that being you approach them first for a solution.
Assuming they are in a Scheme Westward 10.

416.1 live parts shall only be covered with insulation that can only be removed by destruction, not unwinding the tape.

I will post the outcome
But looks like the old story of electrician doing install and one of his mates signed it off
But still bemused they are going to turn up and try and justify it
Just to add they left a bare live end coming out of one of the downlights see how they get out of that!

Reply to Taped up joint in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock