Discuss Tapping into cigarette lighter circuit in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just wondering how many times I can safely tap into a cig lighter circuit. I’m getting a dc to dc 5v converter and wiring in a USB port into my car using the cig lighter. Plus I wait about in my car a lot so often need a charger, but my battery was dead when charging my phone last time I had it on accessory mode so I’m after wiring in a small mobile power bank to charge the bank when I’m driving. That would be twice tapping into the cig lighter circuit.

How safe is this? Plus what would be better? Scotch lock or soldering?

Usually the cigarette circuit is 15 amp and is permanent live and would handle a fone charger no problem . You would have to be aware of plugging something in and forgetting about it though or you will be back to your original problem.

Don't think there is a limit other than the rating of the fuse for the cigarette lighter circuit (usually 15A). I've wired additional points in behind the glovebox to suit things like dashcams a few times.

I'd only ever suggest a scotchlock to be used to tap into a signal wire (for example to pull in a relay that would fire a light bar), I would never put any kind of load through them.

Soldering would be fine but there are other options to connect wires.

I disagree that cigarette lighters are usually permanent live.

i have 1 of these . also does dash cam and sat.nav. i cut the plug off and wired to van battery via a 10A fuse. no need to have ignition switch on.

even if i leave themall on all night, the van still starts (just) in the morning. and my battery is 8 years old.

and forget scotchlocks they are a fire risk.

oops, just mentioned scotch. now where did i leave my bottle?

Thank you. The fuse is 15amp and the cig lighter is wired to a switched 12v(only comes on with ignition on/engine on

And okay thank you, what would you suggest to connect wires?
Sorry , I was having a senior moment , I was confusing the radio permanent live for the memory.
I always splice , solder and heat shrink when tapping in . Scotchlocks are unreliable if great care is not taken with them.

Okay thank you, even using connector blocks isn’t recommended? Just I’m after tapping into it two times, so ideally want something easily ‘reversable’ in case I put car back to standard if I sell it on

wagos.

Looks to be the one I’ll go with, thank you!

I have a second cig lighter socket that didn’t fit my car, wondering if I should wire it up behind the glovebox. However don’t want it being connected to the battery as don’t fancy ringing green flag up to a dead battery. I take it using the cig lighter socket circuit already in car would be a no. Only wanting it to power up when ignition on

I have a dual USB thing that I keep plugged into my cigarette lighter all the time.
Has two outputs, higher one I use for the iPad, lower one I use for the iPhone.
I have a center console from a saloon with 2 12V ports for rear passengers which I intended swapping for my one which has none.
In the saloon the ports are on a different feed to the cigarette lighter, but I would just solder the wires I have with the console to those of the cigarette lighter in my car.

was just wondering why have a cig. lighter on a motorbike, then i saw the last word.... car.

if i go out without my Zippo, i feel undressed. nothing worse than trying to light a smoke with a cheapo gas lighter with the window open and plod in the rear view.

if i go out without my Zippo, i feel undressed. nothing worse than trying to light a smoke with a cheapo gas lighter with the window open and plod in the rear view.
Just a bugger when it runs out.
I have a can of lighter fluid in my glove box, another in my bike rucksack and another in my tool rucksack.

I watched a video on youtube recently by a well-respected chap, and while testing various connectors to destruction the scotchlok ones fared very well actually...
personally, I don't like them, but they do a job, if properly installed.
I use a plug in dual output usb thingy in my car, high output for phone, low output for other accessories, and often use it to charge a powerbank...the ciggy outlet stays live when the ignition is off, which is great for me, and never had any problems with starting...the battery in the car is huge, so I cannot imagine any usage of mine would ever drain it.

my hiace even has the provision for a second battery, some models were supplied new with 2 batteries, so i believe.

Reply to Tapping into cigarette lighter circuit in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock