Discuss Temp elec supply for refurb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mo7

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I am having a full refurb at my house - at the moment the main elec meter is outside my house on the wall.

I then have a temporary consumer unit inside the house with 1 plug on it for tradesmen to use.

I am coming up to plastering stage now so that temp box will have to go.

The proper consumer unit will go back on the same wall when the house is fully plastered.

My question is, what is the normal way of ensuring an electrcity supply (e.g 1 plug for the plasterer and me to use) while a refurb is going on?

The wall the consumer until will go on needs to be clear for the plaster I presume - so the plasterer will just leave the wires dangling out when he is done.

I can think of 2 ways around it

1 - the entire house is plastered apart from the wall with the temp fuseboard on it - the plasterer gets to that stage, the electrician comes and takes it off and the remainder is plastered with no electrics. The 2nd fix can then be done immediatley after so we have power again soon after.

2 - we have somesort of temporary supply directly from the box outside which maybe goes up the outside of the house and in through a window - this would mean having to leave a small window open for a few weeks whilst plastering happens but no biggie. I am guessing electricians wont be a fan of this for safety reasons?

You might be able to fit the temporary board in a suitable water resistant enclosure on the outside of the house.

What did the electrician who installed the temporary consumer unit advise? After all, he's see the house.

You might be able to fit the temporary board in a suitable water resistant enclosure on the outside of the house.

What did the electrician who installed the temporary consumer unit advise? After all, he's see the house.

he didnt really give me a proper answer when i asked him. i am not sure I am going to use him anymore as he keeps delaying on me

your idea makes sense, if we can get a single plug to fit within the box on the outside of the house that would be even better - that way when it is needed you just open the door and take an extension out or soemthing.

Reply to Temp elec supply for refurb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net