Discuss Temp supply SWA/T+E ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, Need advice on sizing a cable for a temp supply. Am thinking of using SWA but not having used this type of cable much on domestics im not to familiar with its current carrying capacities .Are they similar to T+E? Any advice appreciated.

it's all in OSG.tables look under SWA. CCC of SWA is similar to T/E.

The BGB and OSG will both have the info you require.

Hi guys, Need advice on sizing a cable for a temp supply. Am thinking of using SWA but not having used this type of cable much on domestics im not to familiar with its current carrying capacities .Are they similar to T+E? Any advice appreciated.

What is the temporary supply
for? I'm not liking the not
used SWA before! Whats your real job?

Have got a house that's up for rewire when its finished being extended. The mains position is inside the house at the moment cutout with 80A main fuse, meter and cu in kitchen cupboard. Northern power grid are moving the cutout from inside the house into a new external meter cupboard on the new extension wall. So I suspect I will be left with a shiny new cutout with 100A main fuse and a self connect isolator. Need to temp a cable from there to original position to get power back on until its time for the rewire. Was going to use a 16mm T+E and separate earth but think it will be a pig to protect it so hence the SWA.

If temp supply, would it be easier and cheaper to use SY rather than SWA?

No good using sy if the proposed route requires mechanical protection to eliminate the need for RCD protection.

It's a real issue that so many electricians are not familiar with using SWA. Probably why I keep finding the steel cut off and taped up at the ends....
Making off the glands on the SWA is not this issue that's quite within my capabilities , it was the size of the cable that was the query?
Im inclined to agree SWA is the better cable to make it builder proof.

you'd need to enclose it in scaffold tube to make it builder proof.:death:

Reply to Temp supply SWA/T+E ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net