Discuss Ten 6ft fluorescents in a line in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Galv conduit to individual metal clad S/FCU's to each fitting !

Lamps could be changed to LED, and do away with the ballast (heat) !
6ft led replacement lamps are total carp...….unless they've improved 10 fold in the last couple of years.
You could look at swa or hi tuff, if appropriate, terminated in conduit boxes with plug in roses.
Still don't get this fcu business.

Galv conduit to individual metal clad S/FCU's to each fitting !

Lamps could be changed to LED, and do away with the ballast (heat) !

The wiring is fried.

The current installation needs replacing.

The correct method for the environment is galv.

Doing anything to the fittings at the moment is just cost with no immediate necessity.

If it WAS done as you suggest then we wouldn't be having this chat.:)

(other than the SY)

I don't quite see the point here, any and every lighting circuit has the same potential for a fault at one fitting to take out the whole circuit, what's so special in this particular case?
If there is a danger from the loss of the lighting circuit then a correctly designed emergency lighting system is needed.

6ft led replacement lamps are total carp...….unless they've improved 10 fold in the last couple of years.
You could look at swa or hi tuff, if appropriate, terminated in conduit boxes with plug in roses.
Still don't get this fcu business.
I don't quite see the point here, any and every lighting circuit has the same potential for a fault at one fitting to take out the whole circuit, what's so special in this particular case?
If there is a danger from the loss of the lighting circuit then a correctly designed emergency lighting system is needed.
Not danger, convenience.

The wiring is fried.

The current installation needs replacing.

The correct method for the environment is galv.

Doing anything to the fittings at the moment is just cost with no immediate necessity.

If it WAS done as you suggest then we wouldn't be having this chat.:)

(other than the SY)
If the wiring's fried, I can't see the fittings being in the best of nick.
You're saying galv in the envionment.....what is the environment?

If the wiring's fried, I can't see the fittings being in the best of nick.
You're saying galv in the envionment.....what is the environment?
Workshop, it's high level (2.5m) but there are hinged recoil air lines all along the wall so quite a high likelihood of mechanical damage. No other realistic route either.

SWA into galv thru boxes wired into click roses?
What type of fluorescent fittings are currently installed?
Do you still have the ‘fried’ cable?
Please send it to Basec, they will inspectigate why and how it is fried..

If there is a wiring fault they are going to have to have it repaired anyway, and if it is done properly now, its unlikely to occur again in the next 20 years. So is the inconvenience of having to use work lamps/torches for a few hours, maybe once every few years, until they can get an electrician on site, worth the cost of adding in isolators for each lighting fixture?

Is there not fuses within the fittings? The problem with fluorescent fittings is that they can run hot if they are on the length of time they are on and probably breaking down with the effect of heat also.
Not seeing the existing installation I would do a run of conduit with a T box with flexible conduit (or the like) into the end of the fitting. A joint in the T box so that an H/R flex into the fitting. Having done some work within this type of installation you find everything covered with a layer of greasy dirt, therefore, I wouldn't use plugin ceiling roses.

SWA into galv thru boxes wired into click roses?
What type of fluorescent fittings are currently installed?
Do you still have the ‘fried’ cable?
Please send it to Basec, they will inspectigate why and how it is fried..
I think it may be the ballasts …. tucked up the side of 'em….pretty Basec that, Charlie.;)

They still need a circuit running in as the YY is fried, due to the environment it needs to be in galv.

Adding ten LED non corrosives to the bill would be a no go.
Ten LED non-corrosives would be about £400. If they're all on for full working days it wouldn't take long for the power saving to pay for the lot. Wouldn't have thought the difference between LED and fluorescents would add too much to the quote.

Why expensive? Just replace the fittings and feed from plug in roses so that you can isolate any faulty ones.
They still need a circuit running in as the YY is fried, due to the environment it needs to be in galv.

Adding tend LED non corrosives to the bill would be a no go.

I agree with IPF Change fittings for suitable ones prferably LED that are intenally fused at 1 Amp and wire using Greg roses for disconnection/Isolation.
Whole installation if installed at suitable arms reach height or above if safe from mechanical damage risk of vehicles hitting or any other mechanical damage it could be run in HD plastic conduit above the line of fittings.
This way the complete circuit is drawing no more than 1.6 amps and can be wired in 1.5 mm singles with 1.0 mm flex to each fitting and be fed by a 6 amp type B mcb affording you discrimination local point of isolation for safety and saving the customer money in the long run whilst keeping the installation cost reletivly low. Not to mention the added bonus of saving the planet. there is also room in ther to suggest the customer and hes employees would benifit from changing some of these fittings for emergancy fittings.

Reply to Ten 6ft fluorescents in a line in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock