Discuss test meters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pushrod

Hi am currently doing city and guilds course 2330, training, and want to buy my own tester. We use a megger mit 300 (?) in the workshop, but they seem fairly limited in what they can do. Would i be better getting a multi-meter with more functions. It seems that everything domestic is heading for being RCD protected - would it be better to spend more and get a single meter that can test them as well or get several meters for all the jobs. I had one suggestion of a megger mft 1552 would this be a good choice? I intend to do just domestic work when qualified and would eventually like to get into testing. Any comments or suggestions of other suitable meters would be most welcome.

I have a metrel easitest meter and im very happy with it. It does everything you will ever need it to and doesnt hurt the pocket. Google it and find a company called 'pat services'. Mine was delivered in less than 12 hours to! and came with a calibration cert. which you sometimes have to pay extra for. I would always favour the 'all in one' testers as they are the quick and simple. Only crap if it breaks and you need a new one

Hi Pushrod, I have just posted a video of a Megger MFT1553 on this thread:

http://www.electriciansforums.net/electrical-tools-products/3232-megger-mft1553-video.html

I use the Megger MFT1552 and I think its a good tester.

If you do want a meter to do all your tests than a multitester like the Megger, Metrel, Fluke, Kewtech type of tester etc are the ones to go for.

Remember that if you have seperate testers i.e. one for earth loop, one for RCD testing etc, you will need a calabration certificate for all of them.

A multitester only requires one calibration certificate.

thanks for the info so far. someone recommended the fluke 1652 to me as well, any views on this one - must admit to feeling fairly despondent about the prices - have searched the net and can't find the 1552 below £500, and the fluke is even dearer, except on ebay which i am not prepared to trust with such a large investment.

Have you tried pat-services? i got my metrel one for about £400. It is the most basic one they do but still does everything you need. good price i thought

Have you tried pat-services? i got my metrel one for about £400. It is the most basic one they do but still does everything you need. good price i thought
just had a look at those and they look quite promising and more affordable - plus i know there is a rep in college tomorrow trying to sell them to the workshop - might try to have a look at one. Which model have you got sparkymaz?

Said before I'm a Megger man myself, there is a MI3000 here that you maybe interested in for less than £400?

Metrel Easi Plus MI3000 17th Edition Multifunction Tester - Installation tester MI3000 from Metrel/Alphatek

Hope this helps!

Warren

PS Megger MFT1552 is below £500 on there aswell.

you got my hopes up there - unfortunately their prices are not showing the vat :eek:. Thanks for searching though. Tomorrow, hopefully, i will get a chance to have a good look at the metrels at college.

have come across a kewtech kt 61 which i could get new for £250, including a calibration certificate. Price would be brilliant for me but are they any good?

Hi mate.

Yeah nowt wrong wi Kewtech I have the KT62 model, only difference between KT61 and KT62 is it measures PSCC and KT61 doesn't so you would need a seperate tester for that. Have a look for A KT62 or Robin KTS 1620, meters are identical and can be got for good prices now too.

Reply to test meters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock