Discuss The use of this -- in practice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I'm an extremely well seasoned electrician - and pretty much thought I could do a workmanlike job of the majority of skills expected .

Conduit wiring . Trunking cabling – well it's endless as you all well know !
There are school boy mistakes we all have made , and still make time and time again however rarely, One of these (for example) is being in the middle of a conduit run pulling cables with companions only to find you have gone under something or around something --- and you look a fool , and the whole lot has to be pulled back . - you have been there surly or your not a spark's .

It perhaps doesn't happen very often, but I defy any electrician to say he hasn't run afoul of this slight lack of attention to detail now and again .

So to cut this short – I came across a very short clip and it has me wondering … well you'll see what I'm wondering , And I guess the question .is self explanatory – Is this a quirk I've missed that could over the years have saved hours of frustration for many electricians , or is it an illusion ?
trapped cables
facinating whatever - kind regards Duncan

Conduit / Trunking wiring would be a single loop under or over an obstruction, not what is shown in the video.
And unlike the video you wouldn't have access to the cable end(s), if you did you could just feed them back over / under the obstruction.

I think thats a bit of a classic illusion/magic trick. Very neat.

Just to note, I'd be wary of any content on that website - isn't that the one where people were spreading crazy conspiracy theories about covid vaccines etc?

Seen the video countless times, or variations of the same. Didn’t go looking through the rest of the website.

Although very unlikely to come across this exact predicament at work…. Although recent EV install got the data cable the wrong side of a pipe-
Sitting this morning with my coffee…. I took my phone charger lead and a pencil to try this out…. Thinking it was all an illusion…. But hey! It worked!!

That trick only works if the cable is looped round the obstruction, not if it just passes behind / through it which seems a more likely scenario. It seems like only yesterday (although it's 27 years ago) that we were sitting having lunch when someone looked up and saw a cable that should not have been visible. We had spend the morning running cables along tray through the lightening holes in I-beams above the ceiling. Turns out one of the 19-core SWAs had missed one of the holes somewhere in the middle and was looping down below the ceiling and back up again. Lunch took longer than usual.

The cable to my bellbox goes behind pipes in the airing cupboard. I didn't notice till I'd finished routing it through the loft and connecting it up that it had actually gone in front of one of the pipes.

So, does anyone think it's still like that now?

Reply to The use of this -- in practice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net