Discuss Thinking about my future in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ross1

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone in or been in this situation. Im 44 and been doing mostly domestic (running my own company which is now a one man band). My body is starting to struggle with arthritis, I know that 5 years from now I wont be able to be doing this working up your own arse domestic stuff.
I dont know weather to have a complete career change where there is no heavy labour involved, which would mean starting over doing god knows what. Or do i continue for know do my 18th edition update course and do some kind of C&G level 4 course ( not sure what avenues i could study towards?) part time so that I can hopefully land myself a less laborious role in a few years time. Not sure what the hell to do

ross so let me by start saying I'm now coming to retirement and is not fast any more ,bones creak like hell in the mornings ,but over time i keep plodding on, wait in five years time before you make a rash decision.

Have you considered doing the design course and going into an office based design role? or lecturing? or even more of a maintenance type position with less physical labour?

@Ross1

ross so let me by start saying I'm now coming to retirement and is not fast any more ,bones creak like hell in the mornings ,but over time i keep plodding on, wait in five years time before you make a rash decision.

I agree . Unless you have been medically told that you will not be able to work in five years I would see how you go.
Most people over 40 in manual work are cursed with joint and back problems , it does seem to meet a max out level off .

There is no harm in planning for the future and doing what you are planning , but most of us have felt the way that you do when we feel that time is catching up with us. You are still a young man compared to some of us . Do not be to disheartened.

Hi All,

Anyone in or been in this situation. Im 44 and been doing mostly domestic (running my own company which is now a one man band). My body is starting to struggle with arthritis, I know that 5 years from now I wont be able to be doing this working up your own arse domestic stuff.
I dont know weather to have a complete career change where there is no heavy labour involved, which would mean starting over doing god knows what. Or do i continue for know do my 18th edition update course and do some kind of C&G level 4 course ( not sure what avenues i could study towards?) part time so that I can hopefully land myself a less laborious role in a few years time. Not sure what the hell to do
Have you give any thought of getting into teaching, not sure if UK makes you guys go to continuing education every year ?

Two avenues spring to mind:
Get training for electric vehicle charge points and get yourself on the installer register. If we believe what we are told, every home will need one.
Or, there’s a squillion Smart meters to install. That must be physically easier work. Don’t know how much it pays though…

Near all older sparks that I know or have known employ or use a labourer for most things now.
Im 40 and my back and knees kill me most days , I can barely walk now after an 8 hour day of hard graft.
When I was 21 I would smash out an 8 hour shift on site like it was nothing then go out on the beers all evening. Now i just want to go home and sit down.
Get a young labourer to do all your cable pulling and box chopping etc.
Pay them a decent wedge and they generally are ok

Near all older sparks that I know or have known employ or use a labourer for most things now.
Im 40 and my back and knees kill me most days , I can barely walk now after an 8 hour day of hard graft.
When I was 21 I would smash out an 8 hour shift on site like it was nothing then go out on the beers all evening. Now i just want to go home and sit down.
Get a young labourer to do all your cable pulling and box chopping etc.
Pay them a decent wedge and they generally are ok
I’m 61 years old and that’s what I do

Only you can know what your body can cope with. If you are struggling at 44 then perhaps you should look elseware. I'm 57 and my body aches but I still love crawling all over a gen transformer in the pouring rain.It's all down to what you do or don't enjoy and what you think you can cope with.

I'm feeling it now. some mornings the brain says work... the legs and back say stay in bed. Think I'm really getting past 10 hour days. 6 hours ( with maybe 1 hour's driving ) is getting almost too much.

Hi All,

1. Keep fit, pilates, yoga, back exercises so that you can work longer.
2. Maybe go part time as an electrician, choose easier jobs and also get another job stacking shelfs, bar work, etc anything easy which will keep you occupied and give you a little cash.
3. Teaching training course so you could teach in a college.
4. Just go to a college and see in what capacity they could use you without qualifications if you don't fancy studying.
5. Re-train in a completely different career.
6. If your kids are old enough and you don't have a wife head off travelling around the world for a year or 2 and see what comes along. If you have a wife, take her!

See it as something exciting, which it probably will be!

Hi All,

Get into maintenance, easy life

Whilst I was working for myself, I also mixed in testing for councils and housing associations
As you know its hardly back breaking work and always seems to be available. Ruston stated,you can't be sure of whats to come, you may be being pessimistic,there are sectors that don't require house bashing fitness and the work can also be more satisfying on occasion

I think most colleges these days would require a degree/PGCE in order to be a lecturer.

Have you considered taking one some guys to share your knowledge with who can also pick up some of the heavy work?
Yeah, you can't just let any grizzly arsed spark start lecturing.

I believe the minimum is a HND.

Reply to Thinking about my future in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock