Discuss Thinking of getting a Truck in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Have been playing around with the thought of getting a new vehicle for work, ready for when i start out again (my TT isn't gonna work lol, so needs to go...). Looked at a Ford Ranger yesterday and quite liked it but test drove the new Nissan Navara today as you can get a full spec Teckna in manual for less than £300 + vat per month at Vanarama.

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were, i've seen a few posts with some positive responses about keeping the crap carried to a minimum but would love to see some pics of how your managing with the limited space.

Oh i have narrowed it down to a Pegasus hardtop as they look by far the most secure :)

I'm fancying the vw amorok with all the chrome work, I was fancying the ranger myself but having been a passenger in both I preferred the Amorok.

Are you an electrician or a farmer? Surely you would be better with a van than a pick up.
Haha maybe ;) na I'm just trying to tick all the boxes for a vehicle. I do like the Transit Custom Limited just thought with all the spats of thefts of vans and tools at least the truck may fly under the radar a little more

I had a Nissan Navara 2.5 TD / 2010/ with XTC canopy ....never again.
I sold this car and I'm happy ....with Citroen Dispatch / low roof ,lwb / .

btw with truck . You can't fix a proper canopy lock to the back doors / glass/ , so my truck was robbed two times...
and diesel consumption.....Armageddon .

i'll never recommend a truck for a sparky .

security is on of my main thoughts and has made me think seriously about what to get but being you can recode a transit custom in under a few minutes and drive away it seems like your buggered no matter what you get.

The Amorok has more load carrying space,around the engine,than in the back,as it is just big enough for a food mixer.
A sales man at the Mcr VW center,told me it wasn't good enough for the reps,of a plant company,but more for their wives...

The Ranger needs the 3.2 to feel capable,and the auto version drives much better than the manual,but they have had all sorts of issues with fuel injection,and electronics,which the dealers i have been involved with,seem clueless at tackling...clueless :)

You could work out of it,as an electrician,but i reckon a van would save your knees from the miles you'll be crawling in and out of that body...

The Amorok has more load carrying space,around the engine,than in the back,as it is just big enough for a food mixer.
A sales man at the Mcr VW center,told me it wasn't good enough for the reps,of a plant company,but more for their wives...

The Ranger needs the 3.2 to feel capable,and the auto version drives much better than the manual,but they have had all sorts of issues with fuel injection,and electronics,which the dealers i have been involved with,seem clueless at tackling...clueless :)

You could work out of it,as an electrician,but i reckon a van would save your knees from the miles you'll be crawling in and out of that body...

I totally agree @PEG that they are not a practical vehicle for a jobbing Electrician, but that wasn't my wish for one. I very rarely get on the tools these days and I leave that to my lads, My days are taken up with dealing with customers and wholesalers, I also do a lot of miles on the motorway.
So for me I wanted something with the ride height of my van, the comfort of a car, the crew cab and just enough space to carry my toolbag and testers.
It would also double up as a car for me hence the reason I wanted the chrome kit on it.

I have been toying with getting a Range rover for about a year or so now for private and keeping the van for work, but my problem is it probably wouldn't get enough use but at the same time I am driving about in a new Vivaro and not using it for it's proper purpose.
So to sum it up for me, I get a nice truck to use for work and home and put one of the lads in my van and sell the oldest van and hopefully everybody wins.

I totally agree @PEG that they are not a practical vehicle for a jobbing Electrician, but that wasn't my wish for one. I very rarely get on the tools these days and I leave that to my lads, My days are taken up with dealing with customers and wholesalers, I also do a lot of miles on the motorway.
So for me I wanted something with the ride height of my van, the comfort of a car, the crew cab and just enough space to carry my toolbag and testers.
It would also double up as a car for me hence the reason I wanted the chrome kit on it.

I have been toying with getting a Range rover for about a year or so now for private and keeping the van for work, but my problem is it probably wouldn't get enough use but at the same time I am driving about in a new Vivaro and not using it for it's proper purpose.
So to sum it up for me, I get a nice truck to use for work and home and put one of the lads in my van and sell the oldest van and hopefully everybody wins.

I was with me pal,today,who is on Ranger number 2,Ford having failed to repair,and had to retain,number one.
He is off to a equine show tomorrow,and engine management light has come on again,for the umpteenth time...i reckon the black tape is coming out...

To be fair,it drives lovely,and has loads of lift,pull out rear cover you can stand on,450 watts of LED bar lights...

It's just that electronic set up,which from what i've seen so far,is derived from an early Doctor Who prop,a la tardis :)

I'd have the Range Rover and keep the old van.
I am normally very impulsive and am surprised I haven't got one yet but it's just the thought of it getting little use where as if I go with the pick up I get plenty of use out of it and it would stay clean, Although my mate runs a range rover sport with white leather interior but owns a scrap yard and it's covered in oil inside but he just doesn't care. Having said that he still as the Porsche Carrera 4s soft top for the weekend lol.

I love my amarok, never had an issue with it, it's great for putting the dog in the back but useless for anything long like conduit unless you get a roof rack.

It's much better on fuel than the other pickups on the market, I had a Nissan D40 before it and it was heavy on fuel, also it was always going wrong, clutch went then blew the head gasket.

Reply to Thinking of getting a Truck in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock