Discuss Thoughts on electric/hybrid/LPG vehicles in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I currently have a 2007 Volvo v70 estate that I like but is thirsty. Im using around £150 of diesel a month.

I'm looking to change to something with saving money on running costs being the main driving force.

Iv looked at electric vehicles but I'm really concerned about how limiting it can be on miles per charge. Plus I really don't fancy spending the same amount of money per month financing an electric vehicle. Defeats the object a little.

I like the idea of hybrid. Dont know much about them. I know they defo do hybrid estates (Toyota one seems nice)

The last option is LPG converted vehicle. I like the idea of this and it opens up cars that I actually like :)

Years ago, I used to have a dual-fuel car, which also could run on LPG. I bought it in Holland, where filling up was easy. Then I moved back here and couldn't find many garages that supplied it, so most long journeys ended up using petrol. Perhaps things have changed now and there are more places to buy LPG?

Years ago, I used to have a dual-fuel car, which also could run on LPG. I bought it in Holland, where filling up was easy. Then I moved back here and couldn't find many garages that supplied it, so most long journeys ended up using petrol. Perhaps things have changed now and there are more places to buy LPG?

I think LPG garages are much more common now then they used to be. I have a few friends who run LPG vehicles and never seem to struggle much. Usually at least 2-3 garages per city

Ok, but you will still be more than likely to be spending more ....

Yeh most likely. I'd have to compare fuel/running costs with the initial cost and running costs of the replacement.

I think realistically a fully electric vehicle is out of the question. It's hybrid or LPG

Hiring an electric car is a pretty good option. The prices are near enough the same as a normal petrol or diesel car due to the government funding. I looked into it and am considering an electric van.

There will be an initial cost of installing ev charger, but after that it will be cheaper to run than massively taxed diesel.

My concern is we don't have the infrastructure in place to deal with these electric cars yet within the grid and not enough power being generated.

I have a BMW i3 as my main car and love it. I will get around 120 miles per charge in this colder weather, around 150-160 in summer. I plug it in at the end of the day and set it to charge overnight on E7 @ 9p/kwh. There is a £500 OLEV grant towards the cost of a home charger bringing the installed cost down to around £200.
I will be looking into getting a Nissan env200 van in the new year and going fully electric. If you are doing under 100 miles a day you will not have a problem in an electric vehicle. For longer journeys you just need to plan a stop on route at a rapid charger which will get you around 80% charge in 30-40 minutes (coffee break and a bit of paperwork in the service station for me usually)

I have a BMW i3 as my main car and love it. I will get around 120 miles per charge in this colder weather, around 150-160 in summer. I plug it in at the end of the day and set it to charge overnight on E7 @ 9p/kwh. There is a £500 OLEV grant towards the cost of a home charger bringing the installed cost down to around £200.
I will be looking into getting a Nissan env200 van in the new year and going fully electric. If you are doing under 100 miles a day you will not have a problem in an electric vehicle. For longer journeys you just need to plan a stop on route at a rapid charger which will get you around 80% charge in 30-40 minutes (coffee break and a bit of paperwork in the service station for me usually)

Will you be buying or hiring? Those milages, are they with a full load?

Not decided on the buy or hire option yet, need to discuss with the accountant what is better being a limited company (only in my 1st year so new to that side of things).
The mileage is in my i3 generally with 2 adults in it and a 70/30 mix of normal/motorway driving.
The i3 has a 33kwH battery and the new Nissan van has a 40kwH battery so fully loaded I would imagine you would still get similar range if not a bit more.
The other big advantage this time of year is preconditioning. If I am leaving the house at 8.30 I will set to precondition at 8.00 then when I go out all the windows are clear and the cabin is nice and warm at 22 degrees.

Not decided on the buy or hire option yet, need to discuss with the accountant what is better being a limited company (only in my 1st year so new to that side of things).
The mileage is in my i3 generally with 2 adults in it and a 70/30 mix of normal/motorway driving.
The i3 has a 33kwH battery and the new Nissan van has a 40kwH battery so fully loaded I would imagine you would still get similar range if not a bit more.
The other big advantage this time of year is preconditioning. If I am leaving the house at 8.30 I will set to precondition at 8.00 then when I go out all the windows are clear and the cabin is nice and warm at 22 degrees.
that's some new-fangled tech there. when it's really cold, i just bung a 2kW. fan heater in the footwell for 20 minutes. cab then like toast, all windows clear, and the seat warm under my fat arse.

Reply to Thoughts on electric/hybrid/LPG vehicles in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock