Discuss Timer Substitute in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

chiro1990

DIY
Reaction score
Hello - I am a chiropractor and own an older mechanical therapy massage table for my patients. It has a 30-minute 3-pole timer for therapy sessions. The timer has failed and here is a link to the replacement timer...

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement more in this style...

This way I can just push the proper time for 10, 15, 30, 60, etc.)

The table runs on a 110v 15amp circuit.

Thank you

It is a difficult ask over the forum, the link to the original timer shows an output that has an auto retract feature, without understanding that or the safety implications then it is difficult to advise.
I will also note that trying to make alterations by fitting none original parts will void any warranty and possible insurance cover you have, making changes like this even if the replacement functions the same will shift all the responsibility of it operation and the safety of your customers and your staff onto you so move forward with caution.
That high price may be worth paying for the correct part when you consider the alternative.

It is a difficult ask over the forum, the link to the original timer shows an output that has an auto retract feature, without understanding that or the safety implications then it is difficult to advise.
I will also note that trying to make alterations by fitting none original parts will void any warranty and possible insurance cover you have, making changes like this even if the replacement functions the same will shift all the responsibility of it operation and the safety of your customers and your staff onto you so move forward with caution.
That high price may be worth paying for the correct part when you consider the alternative.
agree completely. thank you so much for the thoughtful response.

I suspect the output of the original mechanical runback timer is a single-pole changeover switch. One output is live when the timer is counting down, the other is live when at the stopped position.

The electronic timer you linked does not have an output that is live when stopped and if your table requires this it would not be suitable without the addition of a relay. Electronic timers will also require a neutral to power their internal electronics so that would have to be obtained from a suitable point in the circuit. Even an electronic timer with a changeover contact rated at 15A might not be suitable to switch the table motors, as they have different switching requirements to lights and heaters (and the small fan motors referred to in the timer details).

As per @Darkwood's observation, using an alternative timer and making the necessary modifications would create a responsibility for safety. An appliance repair tech might have the appropriate skillset and insurance to do this, but I would not recommend someone without that to do anything other than replace like-for-like with the officially recommended part.

Last edited:
I suspect the output of the original mechanical runback timer is a single-pole changeover switch. One output is live when the timer is counting down, the other is live when at the stopped position.

The electronic timer you linked does not have an output that is live when stopped and if your table requires this it would not be suitable without the addition of a relay. Electronic timers will also require a neutral to power their internal electronics so that would have to be obtained from a suitable point in the circuit. Even an electronic timer with a changeover contact rated at 15A might not be suitable to switch the table motors, as they have different switching requirements to lights and heaters (and the small fan motors referred to in the timer details).

As per @Darkwood's observation, using an alternative timer and making the necessary modifications would create a responsibility for safety. An appliance repair tech might have the appropriate skillset and insurance to do this, but I would not recommend someone without that to do anything other than replace like-for-like with the officially recommended part.
Thank you sooo much for detailed response. Thought it might be an easy DIY but definitely convinced to just replace with same style timer. Thanks all!!!

Reply to Timer Substitute in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net