Discuss Toolkit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

also been looking at cordless drills i have looked on here but there seems to be a divide between makita and dewalt so a guess it just comes down to personal preference but what I want to know is which is best 18v, 24v, 36v or is that just paying for more power when it isnt needed?

You also need to think what your going to be using your cordless for?

Fixing and drilling holes generally or for screwing.

If your using it for fixings and drilling mainly then get a 36volt drill, if its more for screwing then an 18v will do just fine.

Cordless drills are handy but no substitute for a rawlplug tool :D

hmm that has got me thinking now, looks like I will just have to wait for the drill as I dont know what type of work I would be doing. by they way oilbedamned do you have any contacts down here that might be looking for a trainee?

Ok thanks for all the help I have summed up all the tools which have been suggested and put a list together would you all recommend this as a good starting point?

Kewtech blade runner
Irazola screwdrivers
Knipex pliers, snips, wire strippers
Ratchet action crimpers
Allan keys
Tape measure
Torch
Hacksaw and junior hacksaw
Cold chisel and bolster
17.19,21 spanners
Glanding spanners
36v drill depending on job 1st

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm that has got me thinking now, looks like I will just have to wait for the drill as I dont know what type of work I would be doing. by they way oilbedamned do you have any contacts down here that might be looking for a trainee?

Ok thanks for all the help I have summed up all the tools which have been suggested and put a list together would you all recommend this as a good starting point?

Kewtech blade runner
Irazola screwdrivers
Knipex pliers, snips, wire strippers
Ratchet action crimpers
Allan keys
Tape measure
Torch
Hacksaw and junior hacksaw
Cold chisel and bolster
17.19,21 spanners
Glanding spanners
36v drill depending on job 1st

Contacted Swan Hunter? They have part of the contract for the new aircraft carriers being built for the navy im sure BAE also have another part of the contract at Barrow in Furness.

The only company I worked for down your way was Watson Norie and they have went to the wall the last I heard.

Shipyards are a good way to get in as they do inhouse retraining, also contacting offshore drilling companies as they can train you up to be an electrician also.

thanks for the advice I will try the shipyards, I was also thinking that possibly the railways would be a good way into the trade would you agree?

I am trying to find offshore drilling companies do you know of any names of them?

thanks for the advice I will try the shipyards, I was also thinking that possibly the railways would be a good way into the trade would you agree?

I am trying to find offshore drilling companies do you know of any names of them?

Railways is another way, just fire your CV out to everyone and keep phoning.

Offshore drilling companies:

KCA Duetag KCA DEUTAG - Careers - Overview

Dolphin Drilling Fred.Olsen Energy ASA - English - Home

Seawell (Seadrill) Seadrill - Drilling &amp Well Seawell

Noble Noble Corporation - Career Center Home

Transocean (Global Santa Fe) Transocean :: Career Center

Schlumberger Schlumberger, Careers&

Baker Oil Tools Baker Hughes - Baker Oil Tools

MI Swaco M-I SWACO

thanks for the help I will do, I tried this year but didnt think outside the box really I only tried the contracting companies but i will try the others ways now. you think I should start now or wait untill the new year and just pile all the contacts together first?

thanks for the help I will do, I tried this year but didnt think outside the box really I only tried the contracting companies but i will try the others ways now. you think I should start now or wait untill the new year and just pile all the contacts together first?

Just batter out your cv now. No point waiting around.

You may want to invest in a bush spanner (very handy spanner - see attached pic) but dependant on your work will depend on whether you require a heep of spanners?

I have used spanners in more Indusrtrial / commercial work but they tend to stay at the bottom of your tool bag unless a large gland needs tightening or you are fitting runs and runs of busbar etc.

Thing to do is buy what you really need now to get yourself going and add to your tool kit as you go along. You will soon find out what tools you need on a regular basis after a while and the bits of kit that will save you time.

i would invest in some bahco snips if i were you mate.....ive tried knipex there good but once you use bahco i could never go back......bit more expesive but life time guarantee and very sharp!

city electrical do quite a good range, your better off buying them from a local wholesaler tbh mate, when they go blunt you just take them back and swop them, if you buy them online you cant do that

i have just looked for them bahco snips on the city electrical website but it doesnt say that they are VDE rated? is this right?

they do a few different ones, the ones ive got are rated upto 1000v....cant miss them bright orange handles i think the ones that arnt vde are the black and orange handle ones may be wrong though

yes it is the orange and black handles on the internet they maybe just havnt got them on their site but I will look into it and go in the shop

Reply to Toolkit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock