Discuss Toolkit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking for the knifes today and I found a kinpex cable knife, has anyone used one on here? the reason I looked for a cable knife was because my tutor at college told us that a stanley blade wouldnt be allowed on certain building sites?

anyone on here used this

RJ45/RJ11/RJ12 Crimp Tool - CK Tools High Quality from The Crimp Company

seems good really however I dont know what them numbers and letters mean for the different crimps would that be all I would potentially come across.?

I have been looking for the knifes today and I found a kinpex cable knife, has anyone used one on here? the reason I looked for a cable knife was because my tutor at college told us that a stanley blade wouldnt be allowed on certain building sites?

anyone on here used this

seems good really however I dont know what them numbers and letters mean for the different crimps would that be all I would potentially come across.?

Ben a simple stanley knife will do what you want and you would only need to use a knife on large cable anyway (to help remove the sheathing) some large SWA for example. So why not save your money and buy a stanley knife for now? Chances are that you would find plenty of use for the stanely knife other than cable which you probably couldn't do with the Knipex. And probably wouldn't want to do with the Knipex one anyway.

Can't see a building site not letting you in with a staney blade, how do the carpet fitters get on? If so news to me?

Crimping tools are another great tool, but once again there is a whole range of them for different sizes of cable and different types of crimps.

Some types of Insulated crimps:

Insulated Crimp Lugs

Some crimp tools:

Ratchet Crimp Tools

If you are looking for a standard crimp tool then the top one on that list covers 1.5mm - 6.0mm

You will see on the crimp tool different coloured codes for different sized crimps.

Hope this helps!

Warren

yes that helps alot I thought it would be weird not being allowed a stanley blade so I will go for one of them. If they do more jobs than just one I would imagine this would be better I am new to the trade so was just wanting to know what is acceptable and what is good to have.
thanks

anyone on here used this

Very few sites have a no stanley knife policy, the only ones I can think of are BAE,BP and Shell sites. They want you to use a lockable blade. Get a stanley with a locking blade (the ones with the small yellow wheel on the side) and thats you covered.

That crimper will more than likely sit in your bag unless your going to be building network systems. A fair bit of money to splash out on something your very unlikely to use at this time.

I work for a national company and stanley knives are strictly prohibited, bloody ridiculous, how can an electrician work without one !!!!!!!

So fanta do you use a cable knife such as th knifex one or what do you use?
So for now I will get a stanley but then eventually get a cable knife just to cover myself incase
Agree?

Ok thanks for the comment about the crimper I will just wait then if a job comes up then I will buy one if its needed

I am a doing my tech cert 2330 at college and in the new year I am goin to start and get my tools together. What would you recommend as good tools to have in my kit and what makes to get. I understand that irazola screwdrivers are the best so I am goin for them but what pliers, wire strippers would I need. Could you please let me know as I dont wont to buy tools which wont stand the test of time.
Hi
What tools did you get in the end?
Im just about to fork out for my own kit and would appreciate any feed back!! from anyone
Thanks

Hi
What tools did you get in the end?
Im just about to fork out for my own kit and would appreciate any feed back!! from anyone
Thanks

BigD62 I would look at getting the essentials to begin with because as any spark will tell you on this site it takes ages to build up your tools and it can be a great expense.

I would recommend (even though I am a believer that you get the quality you pay for) save yourself from the very top brands to begin with and then splash out at a later date when you are more comfortable with the use.

Reason I say this is that I have seen so many young sparks go out and buy expensive cutters (for an example) and blow them in two days!

Also there is the chance that tools can be left on jobs, dropped down voids, lost or even stolen.

The list could go on for tools dependant on what area of work you are looking to do but I would highly recommend buying insulated tools 1000V. This will usually be maked on the the tool itself somewhere.

Hope this helps!

Warren

Thanks warren
I will take your advise, but like you, I would like to use the best tool for the job. The screw drivers you advocate seem to have two types.ive attached an ebay link to the ones ive seen. Can you confirm which are the ones you mean ?:confused:
Kind regards
Duncan Bigd62:)

[FONT=&quot]Sorry warren heres the ebay ink[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]regareds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Duncan
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Irazola 7 Pce 1000V VDE Pozi/Slot Screwdriver Set, 031 on eBay, also, Screwdrivers, Hand Tools, Business, Office Industrial (end time 21-Dec-08 12:05:42 GMT)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]IRAZOLA ELECTRICAL SCREWDRIVER SET IN POUCH - BNIB on eBay, also, Screwdrivers, Hand Tools, Business, Office Industrial (end time 22-Dec-08 07:59:18 GMT)[/FONT]

Thanks warren
I will take your advise, but like you, I would like to use the best tool for the job. The screw drivers you advocate seem to have two types.ive attached an ebay link to the ones ive seen. Can you confirm which are the ones you mean ?:confused:
Kind regards
Duncan Bigd62:)

[FONT=&quot]Sorry warren heres the ebay ink[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]regareds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Duncan[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Irazola 7 Pce 1000V VDE Pozi/Slot Screwdriver Set, 031 on eBay, also, Screwdrivers, Hand Tools, Business, Office Industrial (end time 21-Dec-08 12:05:42 GMT)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]IRAZOLA ELECTRICAL SCREWDRIVER SET IN POUCH - BNIB on eBay, also, Screwdrivers, Hand Tools, Business, Office Industrial (end time 22-Dec-08 07:59:18 GMT)[/FONT]

Sorry Duncan just picked up the thread, the first link you have posted are the ones I have now have and the second link are a previous model. Both are good, although I think the newer ones have a slightly better grip. I have used both.

Nice drivers and good torque. Very important in the Summer when you hands start sweating. I woukld definately not recommend the standard red plastic handle drivers even though they are insulated the grip really gets to you.

I have used various drivers such as Wera and Draper Expert. I found Wera wore out far to quick but the Draper expert were good for grip.

Insulated a must!

Hi
Seen a few people struggling with the Kew Tech blade runner. I tried it unsuccessfully on my 2330 course last week:(. My instructor, having also not gaining asatisfactory result said there's nothing better that a blade and hacksaw for armoured, but I find it hard to believe with all the modern tools around there isnt a better product.Am I alone thinking this ??:confused:

Warren
Thanks
I will go for those indicated and hunt round for the best price
Many thanks
Duncan BigD62.:D

Big D62

The first link are for the Irazola Tekno Plus models and the bottom link is for the Irazola Premium range. The Techno Plus are far superior and as stated by WarrenG have a much better grip on them. If you go to the Toolman Yardley website you can pick up a set of these for £24 quid, bought 6 sets off there last month and they were delivered within 3 days.

Been a major tool junkie I can honestly say I have tried most major brands out there. I started with Wera Slipstops (The grooves soon wore out), then Facom (Broke the head off a few, however replaced with no question by Facom), Bacho (No problems) , CK (Bit slippy) , and now onto Irazola Techno Plus which are in my opinion worth every penny. Great bit of kit.

For pliers/sidecutters etc I would never use anything but Knipex.

My voltage meter is a Fluke T5-1000 and my Multi is a Megger MFT1553, both of which I have no problems with at all.

Hope this helps.

Ur college tutor is full of it, u cant usr stanly knifes in college and exams but trust me u will get on all sites with them !

I have already been told on here that BAE, BP AND shell have a strict no stanley policy. I think my tutor was only advising me on the knife which I will be able to use on all sites.

are yes I know but just on the safe side I think incase I ended up getting a job on such a site. personally I agree with you like someone else said on here that they can be used for more than just stripping wires so it makes sense to have a multi-purpose tool. I dont see the problem with them if they do the job what is the problem lol

absolutly, i dont see the problem with them, from my experience on site there is much more to worry about than a stanley! plant, nail guns, saws etc. My point is that ive worked with many sparks with many , many years experiance and not one uses an electricians knife, stanleys rule!

Reply to Toolkit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock