Discuss Tools help for newbee!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jubed Ali

Hi guys an gals,
im new here and to the trade just finished L2 EAL 2330, 17th regs and Part P. All that has bled my bank dry but im looking to the future and hoping it will be well worth it!!

Now i was hoping for some advice please. im on a really tight budget it kind of embarrassing so wont even say. please dont take the p**s im really trying ive just started a part time nights job so that will hopefully help.

id like to know if used testers are ok as my tutor says to avoid them at all costs ??
id like a kt65 or kt64 as we used them at college and been told they are the best by a few.
so really would like advice on what tools id need to get going? What tools i need for the part p assesment?

i found a kt64 for £220 but no cal cert. What you think? im a lil confused theres so many!!!

i just need enough to get me going once im getting work in i will be buying tools every week
so far i know i need :
seperate or mft tester
dvi and proving unit
insulated screwdriver set
locking off kit
maybe a drill? im not sure
wall chaser?

any advice would be great i dont want anything fancy just enough to get going on domestics for now.

thanks in advance

If your wanting to save money in the long run get a new tester as it will only be a small difference by the time you buy a second hand tester and pay for calibration and you will have the reliability of a new tester.

As for a continuity/volt tester dilog do a ok one for £40 ish proving unit isnt required if you use another live source to check it.

with regards to tools you can get a ok dewalt wall chaser and 14.4v cordless for £150 or something similar and buy a decent set of drivers and cutters as you want something that will last not cheap rubbish that breaks in the first week.

The amount of crap tools I have seen on site is ridiculous, they look like something out of bargain bin from Wilkos! Remember buy cheap, buy twice!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

wall chaser buy lump hammer + chisel
locking off kit disconnect circuit instead
hammer drill deffo
cordless not essential use a bit of old fashioned elbow grease lol
good hand tools the rest you add as needed or to suit the type of work your doing!

not so long ago most jobs power tools do where done by hand !!!!!!!!!!!!! although faster not essential!!! but some will beg to differ LOL

if you cant afford a hammer drill buy yourself a raw tool!

im doing it on my own and it takes time unless you rich, open an account at wholesalers and everytime you do a job the 20% you make on materials , if you dont use it by running back and forward for materials, buy something with it, if you do wee jobs for family get them to buy you a tool in the deal or wangle it in somehow ,,,,,

i think all, i need now is a wall chaser and a hoover but can hire these if need be, one or two chases i use my sds and 25mm boxes and oval pipe... good luck

Ah I have a builder friend who swears by that cheap B+Q own brand powertools.

Abuses them, if the die within a couple of months they usually change them, if not they go in the skip, says it works out cheaper than buying.

As some of you know I am the other way and have a good selection of Hilti tools on the managed scheme.

No one will nick his tools

I have an Erbaur one that I paid about that from screwfix, its now 3 years old and still going strong!!

You need a half decent vac.

lol ,i once bought a b&q 9" grinder with 3 yrs warranty flagged all my drive loads of cuts eventually burnt it out took it back and got a new one ,got another 3 yr warranty burnt that out 2 yrs later then got another lol had that for about 7yrs now still working

thanks all
i just cant afford a brand new tester right now. wish i could lol. anyone on here have a decent one for sale?
ok so basics would be
sds hammer drill .
screwdrivers
dvi
mft tester
clamp unit

could anyone advise on the actual Part p Assesment with sceme provider. ive been told i need to lay out all tools and paperwork.
would i need anything else to comply/ pass?
sorry i worried ill mess it up. once i in the scheme i can then start working an buying more tools.
this is a great site been using it for the last year or so.
thanks guys

Scrap the clamp unit

Go for cordless SDS with rotor stop (Chisel function) and cordless driver with hammer function.

All they want to see is the MFT whilst ypur using it and its calibration certificate

I use the larger version of Henry

Box sinker kit is ok on breeze blocks, anything else dont bother. I paid about £120 for mine a few years ago, great for first fixing newbuild breeze.

what about blades cbw , do they need changed often, lidl have 125mm blades on this week for 4.99

Thing is, I have only used my AC clamp meter once in the last 4 years!!!

The DC one is different as its a required test in PV.

i did realise it has little use, but good job it was only 15 squid it actualy has continuity and voltage on it aswell.. il sell it too a yougen someday for 50

Reply to Tools help for newbee!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock