Discuss Tools stolen and ways of tracing them back...!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hello, so I've been hit by the "scum of the earth" pests who decided to raid my van as I was parked outside tool shop... amongst hand tools and screwdrivers etc that they stole:mad: they also wandered off with 2 of my multimeter testers..!!

Can anyone help me know if theres a way of tracing back my meters from their serial numbers to anyone who tries to register or complete certs with that same serial number.. I've trawled fb market, gumtree and ebay for any sign of them but not yet seen any.. Are there any other websites these :mad: would sell my tools on...??

any help would be appreciated... thanks in advance

Sorry to hear that.

If they go the same way as alot of the gear that's nicked, seems a lot of it ends up at car boot sales. Might be worth trying a few local ones over the next few weeks.

yep, an absolute kicker in the nuts.. I'll try your suggestion tho and suss out car boot sales nearby.. cheers

never leave van unattended if you have tools and gear on board. had so many arguments with site security pillocks as i refused to park van 1/2 mile from site unless they put a full time guard on it.

usually don't and if I need to park right up against a wall or directly infront of the store im going in... don't ever leave my testers anywhere near my tools aswell but sods has it the 1 time I do I get stung...! no advice on how to trace them back if possible...?

Contact all local cash converters and similar, they tend to be the choice of thieves.

Give the Police a chance with your serial numbers . Tools have been returned after raids up here.
I know they get bad press , but they do recover a lot of stuff.

Tools stolen and ways of tracing them back...!!! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
I have these on the old van enter if you dare .;)

over next few weeks have a look on ebay for testers and tools matching yours and select a radius of say 15-20 miles. with modern pics you can often zoom in to see the serial numbers or other marks. if you find them agree to buy them and turn up to collect them. notify polic in advance asking they attend to prevent a breach of the peace and hopefully at very least arrest them for handling stolen goods, maybe more. if they say they wont attend then when outside the address tell them you are taking back your property from said person and in 5 minutes will be entering said property and will teach them a lesson. they will come then. i know of somebody who found his tools on ebay. took them off guy selling them and told him if he sees him again he will get more than a beating.

My joiner mate on facebook said yesterday some turd was playing with his van doors at 4 oclock in the morning. One of his neighbours disturbed them.
He's got a big van, with all his tools on board. Automatic sliding door on the side.
A pity he didn't catch them himself.... 6'6" tall and built like a brick ****house. Owns a couple of big dogs as well.

The new Milwaukee power tools apparently have a locking mechanism in them. You register them to a phone app, and if they get nicked, you can basically render them useless. I don't know if that's just the tools, or it does the batteries and chargers too.

My joiner mate on facebook said yesterday some turd was playing with his van doors at 4 oclock in the morning. One of his neighbours disturbed them.
He's got a big van, with all his tools on board. Automatic sliding door on the side.
A pity he didn't catch them himself.... 6'6" tall and built like a brick ****house. Owns a couple of big dogs as well.

The new Milwaukee power tools apparently have a locking mechanism in them. You register them to a phone app, and if they get nicked, you can basically render them useless. I don't know if that's just the tools, or it does the batteries and chargers too.

I think the Milwaukee stuff depends on a close range from the tool to your phone with the app on. You can disable tools with it though. Was reading one story the other day where someone lost tools with this system. The new "owner" tried to add the tools to their own app, but doing that disabled them and used their wifi connection to report their gps position to the real owner. Not sure if this helped enough to get them back though.

Just a thought for how to deter future thefts. On our car we have all the windows, plastic lamp visors and alloy wheels engraved with the registration number. Perhaps you could do the same using your company name and post code on all valuable tools and test gear.
And then advertise the fact prominently on the outside of your vehicle - this is the key to deter theft.

see:

Methods of property marking and tagging | The Crime Prevention Website - https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/property-identification--marking-tagging-and-tracking/592/methods-of-property-marking-and-tagging/

Reply to Tools stolen and ways of tracing them back...!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock