Discuss Torque Screwdriver Calib in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I have had mine about 3 years ( maybe longer ) and have never bothered to have it reset

Does anyone or has anyone bothered to have their vde torque screw driver reset / calibrated ?

I have had mine about 3 years ( maybe longer ) and have never bothered to have it reset

Does anyone or has anyone bothered to have their vde torque screw driver reset / calibrated ?

I would say if you never have it calibrated then how can you be sure it is correct? I would also refer to manufacturer's recommendations.

It could actually make things worse than using a manual screwdriver if you purely rely on a torque driver that is tightening to the wrong torque. Like using an MFT which is out of cal - think how many incorrect measurements could be made over a year.

I would say if you never have it calibrated then how can you be sure it is correct? I would also refer to manufacturer's recommendations.

It could actually make things worse than using a manual screwdriver if you purely rely on a torque driver that is tightening to the wrong torque. Like using an MFT which is out of cal - think how many incorrect measurements could be made over a year.
I don't , just assume it is

There was a recent Efixx video about some kind of calibration checker device. I asked (tongue in cheek) how often the calibration checker needed calibrating, and the instructions apparently don't mention this!

There was a recent Efixx video about some kind of calibration checker device. I asked (tongue in cheek) how often the calibration checker needed calibrating, and the instructions apparently don't mention this!

My local CEF calibration day a month or so ago offered calibration of torque screwdrivers for £16.95.

Whether it's necessary or not is another question - though I guess at that price it might be worth having the certificate in case it was ever questioned.

My main issue is with crap terminals that don't work very well with the proper PZ/SL bit on the driver, making the whole exercise rather academic.

The torque is measuring Newton/metre…. So is there some sort of mechanical lever contraption that can have a known force in newtons… (Kg and gravity) on the end of a metre, or two metres etc. Turn the torque screwdriver against the fulcrum pivot and note when it clicks, and when it doesn’t.

The testing contraption never needs calibrated… unless someone changes gravity.

The torque is measuring Newton/metre…. So is there some sort of mechanical lever contraption that can have a known force in newtons… (Kg and gravity) on the end of a metre, or two metres etc. Turn the torque screwdriver against the fulcrum pivot and note when it clicks, and when it doesn’t.

The testing contraption never needs calibrated… unless someone changes gravity.

Yes you can get torque checking devices like that. A lot of factories use them for regular in-house calibration of the torque screwdrivers that are used on production lines for assembling products.

And the torque checker itself will go off periodically for checking to a calibration house that has an even bigger and better calibrator.

Do they still keep the International Standard Apple in a cupboard in France somewhere? I'm sure that's how they check gravity right?

Also a torque screwdriver requires the user to actually pre-set it to the correct torque for the correct device

I have seen people set it to highest Nm setting and simply do up all the terminals up

Might as well just use a normal screwdriver if you can't be bothered to set it up correctly

Reply to Torque Screwdriver Calib in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock