Discuss Train fares increased again... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of chat about the recent fares increases. I seldom use trains, and due to my location and my concession card, I never pay full rate anyway.
I checked today's fare from Glasgow to Edinburgh, £13.10.
Last night I bought a plane ticket from Gatwick to Menorca, £20.16...

I used a train this time last year for the first time in 25 years. First one was cancelled, next one was late, then had to stop on track mid journey because of a crossing fault :eek:

are you flying with conair to manorca and will you be puting your self in hold ,the trouble is the cost for train ticket is terrible the cost against a flight ticket ,adlest you can take has mutch luggage on it .

I see a lot of chat about the recent fares increases. I seldom use trains, and due to my location and my concession card, I never pay full rate anyway.
I checked today's fare from Glasgow to Edinburgh, £13.10.
Last night I bought a plane ticket from Gatwick to Menorca, £20.16...
How much to get to Gatwick though?

Buzz, you are quite right...can't take much luggage on a plane...it costs more to take a hold bag than the fare sometimes...to be fair, the fare was £8, the rest was taxes!
SWD, £37 to Gatwick! But that's not the point, really. I'm flying to Madrid from Edinburgh after that, £73 return. All I'm saying is that even at holiday times (when I avoid flying, mainly) the air fares are a lot more exoensive than the off-peak dates I prefer, but on a mile for mile basis they are much beter value, so presumably the (successful) budget airlines are running a better operation that the railways.

I am quite lucky as I have a disabled persons rail card that gives me plus 1 person travelling with me 1/3 off all rail fares.
Got it when i had the seizure in the forces and lost my driving licence years ago and have kept it ever since. once you have had one you are classed as epileptic for life. did have a free bus pass to like the old codgers but let that lapse when i got my licence back.

We get a bus pass for free travel in Scotland, once you reach 60. It gives you money off on train fares outwith peak hours.
Personally, I think it's wrong to give free travel when money is needed elsewhere...at least charge 50p or something...but that's a whole political thing and not a matter that is appropriate for debate here.

Buzz, you are quite right...can't take much luggage on a plane...it costs more to take a hold bag than the fare sometimes...to be fair, the fare was £8, the rest was taxes!
SWD, £37 to Gatwick! But that's not the point, really. I'm flying to Madrid from Edinburgh after that, £73 return. All I'm saying is that even at holiday times (when I avoid flying, mainly) the air fares are a lot more exoensive than the off-peak dates I prefer, but on a mile for mile basis they are much beter value, so presumably the (successful) budget airlines are running a better operation that the railways.
Carrilion was run better than the railways....

We get a bus pass for free travel in Scotland, once you reach 60. It gives you money off on train fares outwith peak hours.
Personally, I think it's wrong to give free travel when money is needed elsewhere...at least charge 50p or something...but that's a whole political thing and not a matter that is appropriate for debate here.
It allows you to leave Scotland for free.......

Are you suggesting that Ryan Air pitch for the rail contracts when they come up for renewal?

Boarding a train with a ham sandwich and a flask will insure an additional fee.......

Not a bad idea, SWD! Might have to pay a bit more if you want to take a suitcase...or a laptop...coat...umbrella...

That's classified as a "growth", thus non-chargeable!
Screenshot 2019-01-10 at 08.13.04.jpg

Reply to Train fares increased again... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net