Discuss Training in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, looking for advise on training courses required to gain entry back into the job market. I served my time back in the 80's (15th edition IEE regs!!!) but was always involved in large engineering projects and eventually ended up offshore (from mid 90's to date). I have been a maintenance supervisor for a number of years too therefore I would expect some skills fade.
My job will finish up in January and I would rather not return to the rigs (not that there's much left there now anyway).
If Inwas tontry and work onshore now then obviously I would need to sort out the 18th edition course but can anyone tell me which other courses might genuinely help me find employment onshore?
Thanks

If Inwas tontry and work onshore
Eh? Scrap that, think I just decoded it. What sort of work would you envisage doing? Domestic, Industrial or commercial. Maintenance or Installation? You did not say what qualifications you have. So surely with your experience I guess you would work in commercial maintenance with an engineering bias, i.e. food production, and I guess you would need little more than the experience/qualies you already have.

Last edited:
Eh? Scrap that, think I just decoded it. What sort of work would you envisage doing? Domestic, Industrial or commercial. Maintenance or Installation? You did not say what qualifications you have. So surely with your experience I guess you would work in commercial maintenance with an engineering bias, i.e. food production, and I guess you would need little more than the experience/qualies you already have.
Sorry, I'm crap at typing.
I've got plenty qualifications like Compex and HV switching etc but I'm cracking on a bit at 55 and think I would be happy working locally now. I did serve my time as an installation electrician but was never involved in the domestic side.
I know the 18th edition is a must but what about testing and inspection qualifications?

As I say with your experience, you should be able to walk into a plum job as you stand. I can't see any qualifications that would improve your situation personally. You probably would get on job CPD anyway to the kind of thing relevant to what you are doing. Anyway, for you own research check this link it should have every permutation of ways into other areas for you. Set by the de facto masters of qualifications and entry to the industry. I would have thought though, you have all you need. Ok maybe 18th but that's nothing. 55 is perfect for a move.
https://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp

As I say with your experience, you should be able to walk into a plum job as you stand. I can't see any qualifications that would improve your situation personally. You probably would get on job CPD anyway to the kind of thing relevant to what you are doing. Anyway, for you own research check this link it should have every permutation of ways into other areas for you. Set by the de facto masters of qualifications and entry to the industry. I would have thought though, you have all you need. Ok maybe 18th but that's nothing. 55 is perfect for a move.
https://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp
I'll have a look into this.
Thanks for taking the time to add the link it's very much appreciated

just a thought.you may need a JIB gold card. the JIB do what they call a mature candidate assessment for those with older quals.

I have old JIB and SJIB approved cards. I take it these will be worthless now then?
best thing to do is contact JIB. they may only require you to get the 18th. it's the same leccy now as it was when you were in nappies.

I'm still a red / black and red / yellow/ blue kinda guy.

so am I. and i measure in feet and inches. sod all this foreign metric shyte.

Reply to Training in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net