Discuss Transfer to a sparky in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all!

I could really use some advice please. I’m currently working as a offshore electrical commissioning tech. (2weeks on 2weeks off) and really want to start my own domestic electrical business on my off rotations. My problem is that my qualifications are as followed:
L3 NVQ and BTEC diploma in electrical electronic engineering
HNC in electrical engineering

I did a 4 year electrical craft apprenticeship as a panel wirer and did some part time work with a domestic electrician on weekends.. and then 2 years as a multi skilled maintenance engineer on wind turbines before getting this job offshore which I’m doing now.

I’m just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, which is if I got my 18th edition, testing and inspection... would my NVQ 3 in electrical engineering be sufficient to be signed off as a sparky?

I feel confident I have the required skills but can’t find any help when I google.

Thanks !

I’m 99.9% sure you will require the 18th Ed regs course to register as a domesticated installer as to sign off your own works

Sounds like you're over-qualified to me, 18th edition and AM2 are the only things missing off your list. I'm sure Niceic could sell you those 2 courses.

Probably not as much money in it as working on an oil rig.

Sounds like you're over-qualified to me, 18th edition and AM2 are the only things missing off your list. I'm sure Niceic could sell you those 2 courses.

Probably not as much money in it as working on an oil rig.
Thanks for reply mate, think
I’ll just contact the niceic when I’m back onshore next and see if I got the 18th&am2 if they will sign me off.

And its just for a little extra income and will keep me busy on my 2 weeks off

if you are going for domestic work, the am2 is not required.for niceic or one of the other parasites, you need 18th.

you would need to ask them direct. and have a couple of jobs for inspection, apart from all the red tape paperwork.

No work lined up yet, just want to get niceic approved before going any further

You will have to show them some of your work, to be 'approved'.

Don't wanna put a downer on your plan, but I'm not sure what sure what customers you'll have, waiting for the two weeks when your not around, Bad enough giving customers lead times because your busy. Also, I take it you've factored in the cost of overheads '
just for a little extra income and will keep me busy on my 2 weeks off' ?

Have you considered subbying to someone else? Do you need approval from your current employer?

Reply to Transfer to a sparky in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock