Discuss tripping infra reds in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dynamic

I have got a slight puzzler here. A community hall with 6 three bar single phase IR wall hung units (3kw each) running on a 2 phase system, 3 units from each phase wired individually through B32 MCBs. Said heaters will run for many hours with no problem, then on other occasions odd ones will trip their MCB. I have now noticed that it is always the ones on phase 2 that trip, but not always together. I have done all the basic checks, terminations and connections, IR, continuity & fault current checks to establish resistance values etc but nothing untoward is springing out. voltage on both phases is usually 232 - 244. Any suggestions what I may be missing?

Yes, strange as it may seem, there are only 2 separate phases on this installation. both run separately as singles. It runs through 2 DBs. the first runs all the usual single phase circuits, lighting sockets ect, (balanced between the 2) then they are linked into the 2nd and balanced with 3 heaters off each 230 v phase (and neutral of course)

Hmmm not ever come across this and was under the impression 2 phase supplies were rather rare in the UK. That said, I could be very wrong, hopefully one of the forums more learned members will have a gander and put me right! Would have possibly suggested that the inrush current might be throwing the breakers but as they're on separate 32A (though seems a bit high for 1 x 3KW load) they should hold. If the Zs permits you could try a C type breaker?

Reply to tripping infra reds in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, Just been scratching my head about this one and wonder if I've missed anything. A few weeks ago I installed a new circuit for a 3kw oven and...
Replies
Views
Hey all, I'm looking for some advice to help me troubleshoot my strange issue with my consumer unit/fuse board on which my RCD keeps tripping...
Replies
Views
I own a top floor tenement flat that I used to live in and then rented out after I married. It is currently empty whilst some work is being done...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a 3phase shop in a high humidity area in (Hawaii) and I'm having some issues with low voltage on the single phase outlets on the 120v...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help with a little mystery i had today. The issue is fixed but I want to understand what was going on to help...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock