Discuss Uninsulated ring crimps in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tape over

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
So, some of us tape over the cylindrical part of a ring crimp.

Advantage is it gives some form of insulation against accidental contact

Disadvantage is that it can’t be seen for inspection,

To tape or not to tape, that is the question that is bugging me.

P.s. I. Very rarely tape over them. Right or wrong, I am not sure

TL;DR
Tape over crimps lugs?
My preference is for heat shrink personally if I was responsible for the job, I am quite particular about using the correct lugs with the correct crimp tool and dies.
I can see the merits of leaving them uncovered for inspection, especially as most terminations I work with have Perspex covers. I think in future I might consider asking the client/engineer/supervisor if there is any preference one way or another.
I have been on jobs where neoprene sleeves were the preferred cover over the crimped area of the lugs for bonding.

I was told a long time ago not to tape over crimp connections as the crimp part cannot be inspected properly. But I tend to tape or heat shrink over live connections if I think it is necessary. But very rarely do this to crimps on earth conductors.

Only 6 votes so far,

Of course, may sparks have never used bolted connections, domestic stuff is all clamp terminals.

I chose 'never tape' but I do often heatshrink. In reality, how often does one actually inspect the crimp barrel itself in-service? (Unlike the bolt, which is routine to check.) If you've double-checked the die was correct and ticked it off during commissioning, the most likely reason anyone is going to take any interest in it again is if it looks hot on the FLIR. In which case you'll be all over it and a bit of heatshrink won't stop you.

Reply to Uninsulated ring crimps in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net