Discuss Urgent Help required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Redbull3074

Hi,

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong thread

Our kitchen light went yesterday from closer inspection it appears the Dimmable electronic transformer 4104.00 has gone..only guessing as loud buzzing coming from the unit, the light was a single spot unit and very old.

We live in a victorian flat so the wiring is obviously not great.

Having changed many light switches and light fittings in the past I have made the cardinal sin of not noting the correct wire locations (I blame the 18th month old screaming daughter)

I wish to fix a new light fitting in its place but no matter what I have tried I can not get the light to ..well light up !

the light in question is linked in a loop to the light in the hallway (untouched)

When you walk in the front door and flick the switch the kitchen light turns on as does the hallway and vis versa with the hallway light.

I have attached pictures showing the wires hanging out of the ceiling in the kitchen and also the light fitting I am planning to use.

Any help on what wire goes where would be much appreciated as I need to get the kitchen light working asap

Photo 1 - Wiring coming from ceiling - 2 x black wires & 1 x yellow & 1 x light blue

Photo 2 - as above

Photo 3 - Old transformer unit

Photo 4 - blue and brown wire from old transformer unit

Photo 5 - New light fitting which I believe can be used it has 4 x light blue wires & 4 x brown wires

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• Urgent Help required photo-15 - EletriciansForums.net
    photo-15.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Urgent Help required photo-16 - EletriciansForums.net
    photo-16.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Urgent Help required photo-17 - EletriciansForums.net
    photo-17.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Urgent Help required photo-18 - EletriciansForums.net
    photo-18.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Urgent Help required photo-19 - EletriciansForums.net
    photo-19.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 21
Hi Redbull
First before the wiring is sorted have you tested the transformer output ? if the transformer is shot then you will need a replacment or convert to 240v fittings and remove the tranny the output might still be ok and ok to use as trannys can go noisy but still work fine.
Regards
Tony.

Hi kung

Well I am guessing it is shot as the buzzing is VERY loud and also the unit was very very hot, when I say loud we started hearing it over the last few days

What I would like to do is use the new light

I guessed probably incorrectly that as the old light had 1 single blue wire and 1 single brown wire connected via the junction box that I could simply install the new light fitting and connect the 3 single brown wires and 3 single blue wires as before...(3 bulbs instead of 1)

Looking at my pictures of the wires hanging from the ceiling are you able to advise what I would need to do to get the new light working in its current configuration or if I need to convert to 240v and if so how do I do that ?

I am happy to call out an electrician but also keen to learn

Thanks in advance :)

Hi again
You will need to see if you have any other lights running/supplied from the tranny as if so these will also need changing for 240v fittings if you remove the tranny i would advise seeking an electrician local to yourself as kitchens also comes under part p and if your altering the wiring best knowing what your doing as also the thermal effects will also need to be considered if you have insulation in the ceiling in this instance id advise electrician and while he is there you will also have the chance in picking his brains regarding any other advice also give you the chance in watching and learning.
Regards
Tony.

Reply to Urgent Help required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock