Discuss Using adapters in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jamagi

Hi,

I'm confused with testing leads and items with adapters, I've got an Apollo 600 PAT tester. My items are mostly 15amp so I need to use a 13->15amp adapter to connect it to the machine. When I test it using the adapter it always fails on the resistance test. I've tried (to test a theory) by putting a 13amp plug on the item and testing it directly, at which point it passes. Obviously that's not a solution to the problem, but it shows me that the item is fine, and the adapter is fine. When tested together though, it fails. So how do I test these items?

I have a similar issue with IEC->IEC leads that need an IEC->13amp adapter... in fact ANY item that uses an adapter seems to fail the resistance test.

It seems the tests are only designed if you plug them directly into the machine, but the vast majority of my items are either 15amp or 16amp. I can't plug any of those directly into the PAT tester. Advice please?

Welcome to the forum :)

You say you have made up an adapter that when used gives an IR failure yet changing the plug on the item and plugging it direct into your tester then passes the IR, this would all point to your adapter yet you say the adapter is fine, have you tested the adapter on its own without anything plugged into it, if so and it passes then is it possible there is a issue with the adapter that only surfaces when it has its male counterpart plugged into it.

If you are talking about the earth continuity Resistance you will get a higher resistance than normal as you are going through extra connections

If you are talking about the earth continuity Resistance you will get a higher resistance than normal as you are going through extra connections

Yes, this is what it fails on... I think the limit on the test is 0.1Ω for the items I'm testing, but I keep getting readings of 0.12Ω, 0.15Ω etc... and it fails. Is there a way on an Apollo 600 to "null" the adapters in the test? If an adapter has a reading of 0.5Ω and the item has a reading of 0.7Ω then it's always going to fail despite being within acceptable limits.

I don't want to change the actual test limits because that gives a false impression on the results, it will show a higher resistence for the item than it actually has.

Also, to clarify, when I test the adapter in passes the PAT test fine.

Mature the resistance of the adaptors, subtract this from the measured value when the adaptors is in use and use this value to assess compliance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, this is what it fails on... I think the limit on the test is 0.1Ω for the items I'm testing, but I keep getting readings of 0.12Ω, 0.15Ω etc... and it fails. Is there a way on an Apollo 600 to "null" the adapters in the test? If an adapter has a reading of 0.5Ω and the item has a reading of 0.7Ω then it's always going to fail despite being within acceptable limits.

I don't want to change the actual test limits because that gives a false impression on the results, it will show a higher resistence for the item than it actually has.

Also, to clarify, when I test the adapter in passes the PAT test fine.
Yes The Maximum permitted Resistancef reading is 0.1 Ohms plus the resistance of the protective conductor and the live conductor , there are tables on line to tell you what the resistances should be so although the test says it fails in your case it woul dbe a PASS , if you down load the results from your tester you will have to adjust the settings on your tester , some testers have different setting for different lengths of extension leads etc , sorry I don't now how your tester works does it have instructions ?

Hi,

I'm confused with testing leads and items with adapters, I've got an Apollo 600 PAT tester. My items are mostly 15amp so I need to use a 13->15amp adapter to connect it to the machine. When I test it using the adapter it always fails on the resistance test. I've tried (to test a theory) by putting a 13amp plug on the item and testing it directly, at which point it passes. Obviously that's not a solution to the problem, but it shows me that the item is fine, and the adapter is fine. When tested together though, it fails. So how do I test these items?

I have a similar issue with IEC->IEC leads that need an IEC->13amp adapter... in fact ANY item that uses an adapter seems to fail the resistance test.

It seems the tests are only designed if you plug them directly into the machine, but the vast majority of my items are either 15amp or 16amp. I can't plug any of those directly into the PAT tester. Advice please?
:uhoh2:
http://www.******************/seaward-apollo-600

Have a look at this link and read the technical specifications. Probably better still would be to read the Apollo manual. It shows you how to increase the range of acceptable values so that the machine doesn't stop the tests on a failure.
I use an old Robin PAT 5500 it has the same programmable function

Last edited:
Did you forget the link or was it deleted?

The forum's software has probably hidden part of the link as it may be to a site link that isn't permitted to be posted in the forum, this may include other similar forums or links to sites that have previously been posted as spam etc.. I'm sure if you PM ackbarthestar he will happily forward it to you if you are interested.

Last edited:

Reply to Using adapters in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net