Discuss Using MCB on DC system in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparky_135

Was asked a question today, and was not sure of the answer. Hopefully someone here will have a idea.

Someone wants to use a domestic DB on a narrow boat to distribute DC from the boats batteries to the required equipment, loads will only be small, no more than 20Amps per circuit.

Will MCB be ok to use on DC systems, as all DC sytems I have seen use fuses.

Look forward to your answers

Mcbs can be used on DC circuits but the characteristics can alter as a result. You need to check with the manufacturer that their mcbs are suitable for the application (I think you will find the majority will be for this type of use). One other thing is to check with regard to the wiring of narrow boats, they did used to have a seperate test procedure carried out by a waterways official cos the wiring standards were different. I am not sure if this is still the case as it has been some time since I was involved with one.

For DC distribution in trailers I always use the good old Wylex fuse boards. This gives you the option to change to breakers if you want, and you will probably find the wholesalers will flog you them cheap. Mine did, £30 for about ten of the blighters.

You can but re-setable blade fuses now. Merc vans use them but apart from merc i dont know where you can buy them.

It would be a much smaller fuse board.

Reply to Using MCB on DC system in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone, I have a quick question if I may? I'm thinking of adding a second PV system to my existing rooftop PV & battery setup. As the...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum and am hoping someone can give me some advice, as I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to these things. I'm...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I've just been perusing the AM2/E/S threads on here. Thought you might like a bit of a review. If, like I did, you find yourself...
Replies
Views
My wife is on the committee of the local village, and they have just had an EICR carried out. This came out as 'unsatisfactory' and accompanied by...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock