Discuss V pro dimmers overheating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

stidge

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi , I’ve fitted a v-pro dimmer 0-300 w into a 6 gang chrome switch . 1 x 0-120w one end , a switch and a blank in between the second dimmer which keeps overheating when dimmed ! I’ve replaced once as never had any problems with these dimmers . There are 23 5w dimmable lamps on circuit ( max 30 ) which is 115w so well within limits . Have spoken to tech with no joy , anyone else experienced this problem? Cheers

I'm slightly wary of the max ratings of LED dimmers, I think how close you can get to the rating depends on the actual lamps in use.

There is a V-Com range that includes a 400W LED version - KQP401W - but I think it will likely have a metal plate to dissipate heat that takes up the whole of the faceplate, so might not lend itself to fitting in a grid switch type fitting.

I'm slightly wary of the max ratings of LED dimmers, I think how close you can get to the rating depends on the actual lamps in use...............
The ratings given on dimmers often state their capability with a linear load ie a power factor of 1. In the old days with halogen lamps this figure was kinda relevant but nowadays with cheap LED lamps that can have a PF as low as 0.2 it means absolutely Jack.

As you say, the dimmer is almost certainly overloaded or maybe poor ventilation with multiple dimmers in a single back-box.

23 does sound like a very large amount. I thought the v pro was limited to 10 lamps regardless of max wattage.
I have put 12 on before without issue but with 23 I feel you are either going to have to forgo the dimming capability or split into 2 sections with an extra dimmer.
Or look into zano as I think they do led dimmers that can handle large amounts of led's.

I'm slightly wary of the max ratings of LED dimmers, I think how close you can get to the rating depends on the actual lamps in use.

There is a V-Com range that includes a 400W LED version - KQP401W - but I think it will likely have a metal plate to dissipate heat that takes up the whole of the faceplate, so might not lend itself to fitting in a grid switch type fitting.
Hi mate , the smaller v pro handles 10 lamps but the larger one is supposed to handle 30 and 300 watts ! I’ll try and contact varilight again ! Thanks for your input

I’ve had problems with V-Pro LED dimmers, the dimmer range is 0-100w and I’ve had 3 fail - they are dimming 4 10w fittings. They last about a year, all sent back to Varilight who tell me that they have a very low return rate and can’t understand it. The fittings aren’t cheap ones either.

I suppose you have matched the types of LED as trailing (default)/leading edge? It is most strange as the load dropping down on dimming one would expect less not more heat/resistance. It says there is overload protection and output would drop if there is an overload so that can certainly be ruled out especially with your figures. So exactly what lamps are you using? And the V-pro range does state it is for a max 20 lamps.

I suppose you have matched the types of LED as trailing (default)/leading edge? It is most strange as the load dropping down on dimming one would expect less not more heat/resistance. It says there is overload protection and output would drop if there is an overload so that can certainly be ruled out especially with your figures. So exactly what lamps are you using? And the V-pro range does state it is for a max 20 lamps.
Hi mate , I’ve spoken to varilight tech dept today and they have suggested trying mode 2 or 3 ! Default is mode one , trailing or leading etc ( I’ve only had to do this before with flickering lamps) . They’ve assured me this will work as they have had this problem before ! I will let you all know the outcome once I’ve been back to job , thanks all for input ( ps vortigen the 1-300 dimmer states 30 max lamps ) ?
[automerge]1576100229[/automerge]
Hi mate , I’ve spoken to varilight tech dept today and they have suggested trying mode 2 or 3 ! Default is mode one , trailing or leading etc ( I’ve only had to do this before with flickering lamps) . They’ve assured me this will work as they have had this problem before ! I will let you all know the outcome once I’ve been back to job , thanks all for input ( ps vortigen the 1-300 dimmer states 30 max lamps ) ?
Oh and sorry mate forgot, I’m using aurora 5w dimmables ( not cheap lamps ) cheers

Hi pc , obviously this was a while ago but the varilight still wouldn’t work properly without overheating on different modes so in the end I tried the zano dimmer and it worked perfectly with no call back so far ! Cheers

Reply to V pro dimmers overheating in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock