Discuss Vehicle Headlight Urgent Help in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help me.
A few months ago I had a customer that has called me saying that the low beam was not working on the left side of the vehicle, I have checked and found that no power was getting to light the low beam, so instead of costing hundreds to find the broken wire I have decided to run a new wire from the right low beam to the left low beam, and everything worked well without a problem, but 4 weeks later the car cached fire on the left side of the vehicle, and the customer is trying to blame me for this issue, bear in mind that the right side of the car is intact and that is where I have taken the 12v for the low beam on the left side of the vehicle.

My question is, is it possible that what I have done is wrong and could catch fire or not?
As the customer is asking for £8000 compensation, but if it is my fault I will indeed take responsibility for it.

Car is a 2010 VW Scirooco

Thanks in advance

Hi 2 questions

1, was it your decision to basically bodge the repair or the customers to save money?

2, is this a wind up? ?

Wow ok

Have you had a chance to look at the vehicle?
Is there any form of report into what is believed to of happened?
Did you get it in writing that the client was happy for you to repair (used lightly) in that way?

It's definitely wrong.

The low beam lamps have their own fuse for each side, so that if a fuse did blow, at least the other side is still working and you're not driving blind!

You've overloaded the wire which goes from the fusebox to the right side, as it's now carrying twice the current. Albeit, that side didn't catch fire.

What thickness wire did you use to make the bodge?

How did you join the new wire to the old wiring on the left side? A poor connection can overheat.

Wow ok

Have you had a chance to look at the vehicle?
Isthere any form of report into what is believed to of happened?
Did you get it in writing that the client was happy for you to repair (used lightly) in that way?
That's the problem, I have had no sighted the vehicle since the last repair with headlight, he only sent some pictures of the car burned on the left side of the vehicle, and with that threatening me and demanding £8000 in compensation or is taking me to court

It's definitely wrong.

The low beam lamps have their own fuse for each side, so that if a fuse did blow, at least the other side is still working and you're not driving blind!

You've overloaded the wire which goes from the fusebox to the right side, as it's now carrying twice the current. Albeit, that side didn't catch fire.

What thickness wire did you use to make the bodge?

How did you join the new wire to the old wiring on the left side? A poor connection can overheat.
I bought wire for the head light from Halfords, and given 50mm wire and fitted a fuse and carried it all the way to the other light, hence why if anything happened should have blown the fuse that I have fitted.
Also fitted proper connectors for it.

Ok 5cm in length, if this is from the right side to the left side is it a hot wheels car ??, sorry couldn’t resist,

have you got the pictures what connectors did you use? What fuse did you use?

Ok 5cm in length, if this is from the right side to the left side is it a hot wheels car ??
What I'm saying is that I have used one of these, and then run the wire all the way to the other side of the car, not sure about the length, but I recon 1meter-1meter and half
Used a 10amp fuse

Attachments

• fuse.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
How did you terminate to the light, what checks did you do?
I have cut the positive wire from the left side light just in case with the vibration of the car it would not reconnect and overload both headlights, and then I have checked all terminals and tighten all of them for a tight connection, also used connectors to connect all wires to avoid loose connections.

It is a bit odd as car insurance covers fire for nearly all scenarios, so not sure why the client is chasing you. At worst i would expect the insurance company to contact you but not the client. Anyway it is possible the original supply to the low beam has since caused a problem. However vehicle fires can be caused by so many different situations it is a bit of a leap to blame you for your repair. Its possible upon inspection the insurance company has seen some non manufacturer wiring and they have walked away leaving the client high and dry. Sadly there are more questions than answers........

It is a bit odd as car insurance covers fire for nearly all scenarios, so not sure why the client is chasing you. At worst i would expect the insurance company to contact you but not the client. Anyway it is possible the original supply to the low beam has since caused a problem. However vehicle fires can be caused by so many different situations it is a bit of a leap to blame you for your repair. Its possible upon inspection the insurance company has seen some non manufacturer wiring and they have walked away leaving the client high and dry. Sadly there are more questions than answers........
Hi, Thank you for your reply, and actually what you saying it all makes sense now because the car was half modified including the headlights, tail lights windows wheels, etc... and just out of curiosity I have asked the customer if all mods were declared which he said none of them are.

I wish I had an answer so I can deal with it the best possible way.

Now you tell us about all of the modifications, sounds like the owner of the vehicle has had his claim denied for not declaring the mods and is looking for someone else to pay out

Now you tell us about all of the modifications, sounds like the owner of the vehicle has had his claim denied for not declaring the mods and is looking for someone else to pay out
I'm sorry but it did not come to my mind, as you might expect this is a very stressful situation, and I'm trying to solve it the best way possible.

Last edited:
Take a look at some of the scirocco forums, plenty of warnings on there about fitting after market lights, point your client in that direction,

One more point, just because where you used to worked bodged it like that and had no problems doesn’t make it right

good luck

Reply to Vehicle Headlight Urgent Help in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net